1:05 PM ET, June 10, 2007
Comerica Park, Detroit, Michigan
• Summary: The Tigers showed why they lead the American League in hitting, drubbing Tom Glavine and the Mets to win a slugfest at Comerica Park.
• Hit parade: Gary Sheffield led a potent Tigers offense, which pounded out 21 hits and a season-high 15 runs. Sheffield was 4-for-5 with a homer and RBI triple. Ninth-place hitter Brandon Inge had a career-high five RBIs.
• Figure this: Glavine gave up nine earned runs for just the second time in his career. The only other time Glavine gave up nine earned runs was May 24, 1999, for Atlanta against the Brewers.
• Quotable: "Like I used to say about Doc Gooden, it's pretty easy to be poised when you've got that kind of talent." -- Jim Leyland on rookie Andrew Miller's ability to pitch out of jams Sunday.
• For the birds: About 50 seagulls were on the field, mostly in the outfield, during the first inning and about half of them stuck around for the whole game.
-- ESPN.com news services
Tigers 15, Mets 7
The 15 runs and 21 hits allowed were season highs for the Mets. ... Detroit OF Magglio Ordonez was scratched from the lineup because of minor stiffness in his left knee and said he will play Tuesday at home against the Milwaukee Brewers after the Tigers are off on Monday. ... Mets OF Moises Alou left the team Sunday morning to fly back home for an examination on his strained left quadriceps and another OF on the DL, Shawn Green, is expected to be activated Monday. Mets 1B Howard Johnson was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans after the game. ... Detroit SS Carlos Guillen left the game in the third inning with a right hamstring spasm and wasn't sure if he would be healthy enough to play Tuesday. ... Ivan Rodriguez and Sheffield both hit their first triples of the season. ... Grilli entered the game after pitching 7 2-3 scoreless innings over four games. ... About 50 seagulls were on the field, mostly in the outfield, during the first inning and about half of them stuck around for the whole game. ... Miller started in place of Nate Robertson, who is on the disabled list with a tired arm. ... Wright has homers in four straight games, one short of the franchise record.
Regular Season Series
|1st||D Wright homered to right, J Reyes and C Beltran scored.||3||0|
|1st||G Sheffield homered to left.||3||1|
|2nd||B Inge singled to left, I Rodriguez scored, S Casey to second.||3||2|
|3rd||I Rodriguez tripled to deep right center, P Polanco and O Infante scored.||3||4|
|5th||G Sheffield tripled to deep center, P Polanco scored.||3||5|
|5th||O Infante reached on bunt single to pitcher, G Sheffield scored.||3||6|
|5th||S Casey singled to right, O Infante and I Rodriguez scored.||3||8|
|5th||B Inge homered to left, S Casey scored.||3||10|
|6th||C Gomez homered to left, J Franco and B Johnson scored.||6||10|
|6th||O Infante singled to left, P Polanco scored, G Sheffield to second.||6||11|
|8th||D Easley doubled to deep left, J Reyes scored.||7||11|
|8th||C Monroe singled to shallow center, O Infante scored, I Rodriguez to third, S Casey to second.||7||12|
|8th||B Inge singled to right, I Rodriguez and S Casey scored, C Monroe to third.||7||14|
|8th||C Granderson singled to right, C Monroe scored, B Inge to second.||7||15|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Comerica Park, Detroit, MI|
|Attendance||40,914 (99.2% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||80 degrees, sunny|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Tim Mcclelland, First Base - Fieldin Culbreth, Second Base - Marty Foster, Third Base - Paul Schrieber|