7:05 PM ET, June 15, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: Dustin Pedroia and J.D. Drew combined for eight RBIs to help the Red Sox pound Barry Zito and the Giants.
• One to remember: Pedroia had his first career five-hit game while driving in a career-high five.
• Quotable: "The first month of the season, we spent so much time trying to defend him. He wasn't hitting. But he plays the ball all over the ballpark. And, man, he makes contact. There's a lot of things in his favor." -- Red Sox manager Terry Francona on Pedroia
• Bonds watch: Barry Bonds was held homerless in his first career game at Fenway. The slugger went 1-for-3 with an intentional walk.
• Figure this: The Giants had not made a regular-season visit to Fenway since 1915, when they faced the Boston Braves.
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 10, Giants 2
The Giants had not visited Fenway in the regular season since 1915, when they faced the Boston Braves. The New York Giants also played the Red Sox in the 1912 World Series. ... Boston's Manny Ramirez had a run-scoring fielder's choice in the third inning for his 1,551st RBI, moving him past Fred McGriff into 37th place on the all-time list. ... Drew had three hits in consecutive games June 8-9, then went 0-for-11 before notching three more on Friday. ... Giants 1B Ryan Klesko was scratched from the lineup with sore hips. Mark Sweeney took his place in the field. ... Red Sox DH David Ortiz was ejected for arguing a called third strike in the first inning. Ortiz complained only briefly to home plate umpire Tony Randazzo before heading back to the dugout. Randazzo tossed him shortly thereafter. It was the sixth time in his career that Ortiz has been thrown out of a game, the first since Aug. 19, 2005. ... The Red Sox observed a moment of silence in memory of former Boston Globe baseball writer Larry Whiteside, who died Friday at the age of 69.
Regular Season Series
|1st||M Sweeney doubled to deep right, D Roberts scored.||1||0|
|1st||M Sweeney scored on J Tavarez' wild pitch.||2||0|
|1st||D Pedroia homered to left, J Drew scored.||2||2|
|3rd||M Ramirez grounded into fielder's choice to third, J Drew scored, W Pena out at second, D Pedroia to third.||2||3|
|4th||J Drew doubled to deep center, M Lowell and J Lugo scored.||2||5|
|4th||D Pedroia singled to right, J Drew scored, D Pedroia to second advancing on throw.||2||6|
|6th||J Drew singled to right, C Crisp scored.||2||7|
|8th||D Pedroia doubled to deep center, C Crisp and J Lugo scored.||2||9|
|8th||W Pena grounded out to shortstop, D Pedroia scored.||2||10|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,508 (98.5% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||64 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Tony Randazzo, First Base - Charlie Reliford, Second Base - Greg Gibson, Third Base - Larry Vanover|