8:05 PM ET, June 18, 2007
Miller Park, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
• Summary: Making his MLB debut, Yovani Gallardo gave the Brewers six-plus innings en route to a 5-4 win over the Giants.
• Did you see that?: Gallardo also had an RBI double in his first at-bat in the bigs.
• Figure this: Gallardo is the first Milwaukee starter to win his MLB debut since Chris Saenz beat the Cardinals on April 24, 2004. Interestingly, that was also Saenz's last appearance in the bigs.
• Quotable: "We were all standing on the mound after [Gallardo] left and I was looking at those kids and Prince goes, 'Man, he's cool. He's just nice and calm and cool.' I said, 'Yeah, he's just like you guys. He's a stud.'" -- Brewers manager Ned Yost
• Unsung hero: Prince Fielder hit his NL-leading 26th homer of the season, a two-run shot in the first.
• Bonds watch: Giants slugger Barry Bonds went 1-for-2 with a double and two walks.
-- ESPN.com news services
Brewers 5, Giants 4
Gallardo wore No. 49, the same number as fellow Mexican star Teddy Higuera, who won 94 games in a nine-year career with the Brewers. Gallardo said he didn't pick the number, but occasionally talks to Higuera on the phone. ... Molina took a foul ball from Braun off his right hand while catching in the third, but stayed in the game. X-rays were negative. ... Most of the 41,631 fans booed Bonds in each at-bat. It was the 11th sellout for Milwaukee this season. ... Brewers OF Tony Gwynn Jr. was optioned to Triple-A Nashville to get some more consistent work after batting .301 in 68 at-bats in Milwaukee. ... Giants INF Rich Aurilia (sore neck) was placed on the 15-day disabled list, C Eliezer Alfonzo was moved to the 60-day DL and INF Luis Figueroa was called up from Triple-A Fresno.
Regular Season Series
|San Francisco leads 5-4 (as of Mon 6/18)|
|» Mon 6/18||@MIL 5, SF 4||Box Score|
|Tue 6/19||@MIL 6, SF 2||Recap|
|Wed 6/20||@MIL 7, SF 5||Recap|
|Fri 7/20||SF 8, @MIL 4||Recap|
|Sat 7/21||SF 8, @MIL 0||Recap|
|Sun 7/22||@MIL 7, SF 5|
|Fri 8/24||@SF 11, MIL 6||Recap|
|Sat 8/25||@SF 6, MIL 2||Recap|
|Sun 8/26||@SF 5, MIL 4|
|Complete Schedule: Giants | Brewers|
|1st||B Molina singled to left, D Roberts scored, B Bonds to second.||1||0|
|1st||P Fielder homered to left center, R Braun scored.||1||2|
|2nd||Y Gallardo doubled to deep left, R Weeks scored.||1||3|
|4th||R Weeks grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, B Hall scored, K Mench out at third.||1||4|
|5th||C Hart homered to right.||1||5|
|7th||P Feliz homered to left.||2||5|
|7th||R Durham homered to right, K Frandsen scored.||4||5|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Miller Park, Milwaukee, WI|
|Attendance||41,631 (99.4% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Doug Eddings, First Base - Dana Demuth, Second Base - Derryl Cousins, Third Base - Brian Knight|