Final in 11
8:05 PM ET, June 28, 2007
Minute Maid Park, Houston, Texas
• Summary: Craig Biggio went 5-for-6 and reached the 3,000-hit plateau to highlight the Astros' win. Biggio got the 3,000th hit with a single to center field in the seventh inning and he then dragged longtime teammate Jeff Bagwell onto the field after reaching the mark. Carlos Lee preserved the Astros' win with a grand slam off Brian Fuentes in the bottom of the 11th.
• More on Mr. 3,000: Biggio became the 27th player to record 3,000 hits and is the first since Rafael Palmeiro to reach the mark. He's also the ninth player in MLB history to have all 3,000 hits with one team. He now has 3,002 hits.
• Unsung hero: It was Biggio's night in the spotlight, but Lee was lurking nearby in the shadows. Lee's grand slam was the 11th of his career and was his 2nd career walk-off grand slam (his first since June 8, 2001 against the Chicago Cubs).
• Losing effort: Rockies' rookie Troy Tulowitzki hit a home run in the top of the 11th to give the Rockies the lead. He has hit a go-ahead home run in the ninth inning or later in three games since June 22nd.
• Quotable: "I wanted him on that field, between the lines one more time with me to really let the fans say goodbye, say hello, say thank you for so many things. To me that was what it was about. He deserved it and I deserved it in a way. I just wanted him to enjoy it and be happy one more time with me." -- Biggio, on sharing his 3,000th hit with Bagwell
-- ESPN.com news services
Astros 8, Rockies 5 (11 innings)
Thursday's game was the third extra-inning game in the last five days for Houston.
Regular Season Series
|3rd||C Iannetta homered to left.||1||0|
|8th||R Spilborghs homered to right center, G Atkins scored.||3||1|
|8th||C Iannetta singled to right, T Tulowitzki scored.||4||1|
|8th||L Berkman homered to left.||4||2|
|8th||M Lamb homered to right center, M Loretta scored.||4||4|
|11th||T Tulowitzki homered to left center.||5||4|
|11th||C Lee homered to left, C Biggio, H Pence and L Berkman scored.||5||8|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX|
|Attendance||42,537 (101.1% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Larry Poncino, First Base - Bruce Dreckman, Second Base - Gary Darling, Third Base - Jerry Meals|