1:05 PM ET, July 5, 2007
Comerica Park, Detroit, Michigan
• Summary: The Tigers went yard three times off C.C. Sabathia, who allowed a season-worst seven runs in four innings, as Detroit closed to within a game of Cleveland's AL Central lead.
• Turning point: The Tigers' four-run third inning, which erased their 2-1 deficit. The big blow came via Carlos Guillen's three-run homer.
• Hero: Sabathia remains the majors' winningest pitcher, but Justin Verlander has made his case to start the All-Star Game for the AL. He went seven solid innings for his 10th win after going 0-1 with a 7.36 ERA in two previous starts against Cleveland this season.
• Unsung hero: Placido Polanco, whose three-hit game included his third homer of the season. The All-Star Game starter at second base for the AL is hitting .334.
• Figure this: Gary Sheffield's two-run homer in the fourth was the 475th of his career, moving him into a tie for 27th with Hall of Famers Stan Musial and Willie Stargell on the all-time list.
• Quotable: "You see guys throw 97, 98, but it's really rare that you see guys that young with three pitches like he has -- fastball, curveball, changeup -- that are all above average." -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland on Verlander
-- ESPN.com news services
Tigers 12, Indians 3
Cleveland's biggest loss before Thursday was an 8-0 defeat against the Los Angeles Angels on May 10. ... Leyland said he planned to rest All-Star Ivan Rodriguez on Friday against the Boston Red Sox before having him in the lineup in the next two games. ... Sabathia, who gave up only one homer in six June starts, gave up three homers -- all in the first inning -- on May 1 against Toronto before earning the victory. ... Thursday was the 60th anniversary of Larry Doby's first game with the Indians, becoming the AL's first black player. Cleveland's entire team plans to wear Doby's No. 14 -- a retired number -- on Aug. 10 at home against the New York Yankees as part of the Hall of Fame weekend celebration. ... Detroit drew its sixth straight sellout.
Regular Season Series
|Cleveland leads 12-6 (as of Thu 7/5)|
|Fri 5/25||CLE 7, @DET 4||Recap|
|Sat 5/26||CLE 6, @DET 3||Recap|
|Sun 5/27||CLE 5, @DET 3||Recap|
|Thu 5/31||@CLE 11, DET 5||Recap|
|Fri 6/1||@CLE 12, DET 11||Recap|
|Sat 6/2||DET 9, @CLE 5||Recap|
|Sun 6/3||DET 9, @CLE 2||Recap|
|Tue 7/3||CLE 5, @DET 4||Recap|
|Wed 7/4||@DET 6, CLE 4||Recap|
|» Thu 7/5||@DET 12, CLE 3||Box Score|
|Tue 8/14||DET 6, @CLE 2||Recap|
|Wed 8/15||@CLE 5, DET 2||Recap|
|Tue 8/21||@DET 2, CLE 1||Recap|
|Wed 8/22||CLE 11, @DET 8||Recap|
|Thu 8/23||CLE 3, @DET 1||Recap|
|Mon 9/17||@CLE 6, DET 5||Recap|
|Tue 9/18||@CLE 7, DET 4||Recap|
|Wed 9/19||@CLE 4, DET 2||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Indians | Tigers|
|1st||V Martinez homered to right.||1||0|
|1st||P Polanco homered to left.||1||1|
|2nd||R Garko scored on J Verlander's wild pitch.||2||1|
|3rd||G Sheffield hit sacrifice fly to left, C Granderson scored.||2||2|
|3rd||C Guillen homered to left center, P Polanco and M Ordonez scored.||2||5|
|4th||G Sheffield homered to left center, B Inge scored.||2||7|
|6th||V Martinez doubled to deep right, C Blake scored.||3||7|
|6th||M Ordonez singled to center, P Polanco scored, G Sheffield to third.||3||8|
|6th||C Guillen hit sacrifice fly to left, G Sheffield scored.||3||9|
|6th||S Casey doubled to right, M Ordonez and I Rodriguez scored.||3||11|
|6th||C Monroe singled to shallow right center, S Casey scored.||3||12|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Comerica Park, Detroit, MI|
|Attendance||40,923 (99.2% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||81 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Doug Eddings, First Base - Dana Demuth, Second Base - Derryl Cousins, Third Base - Kerwin Danley|