1:05 PM ET, July 8, 2007
Comerica Park, Detroit, Michigan
• Summary: The Tigers made a statement to the Red Sox and the rest of the American League on Sunday, completing a sweep of Boston for their fifth straight win.
• Sheff's special: Gary Sheffield homered and had two doubles off Daisuke Matsuzaka to power the Tigers' attack.
• Welcome to the bigs: Dice-K allowed three home runs in a game for the first time in his major league career.
• Star treatment: The Red Sox have a baseball-high six All-Stars and Detroit has five, plus its manager, but just three of the 11 were in the lineup.
• Quotable: "If that's not a web gem, I've never seen one. Nobody makes a better play than that." -- Jim Leyland on Curtis Granderson's fantastic catch in the fourth inning, where he robbed Wily Mo Pena of a homer.
-- ESPN.com news services
Tigers 6, Red Sox 5
The three-game series between the Tigers and Red Sox was supposed to be a matchup of two of the AL's best teams. Following Detroit's 6-5 win Sunday to complete the sweep of Boston, the series wasn't much of a contest statistically speaking.
|Tigers center fielder Curtis Granderson went over the fence to rob Wily Mo Pena of a home run in the fourth inning.(Tom DiPace for ESPN The Magazine)|
Leyland, who will manage in the All-Star game, said he knows who the AL's starting pitcher will be, but wouldn't reveal the decision. ... Matsuzaka gave up more than one home run only once before, on May 25 when Texas hit two home runs off him. ... Detroit committed a season-high five errors. ... Matsuzaka lasted five innings twice previously. ... Virgil Trucks, 90, and 80-year-old Joe Ginsberg were on the field before the game to honor Justin Verlander and Rodriguez. Verlander's no-hitter last month was the first by a Tiger at home since Trucks did it in 1952. Ginsberg and Rodriguez were the catchers in the two games. ... The Tigers drew their ninth straight sellout, extending a record in 6 1/2 seasons at Comerica Park. ... Lugo was 3-for-3 with a double and home run.
Regular Season Series
|Detroit leads 4-3 (as of Sun 7/8)|
|Mon 5/14||@BOS 7, DET 1||Recap|
|Tue 5/15||DET 7, @BOS 2||Recap|
|Thu 5/17||@BOS 2, DET 1||Recap|
|Thu 5/17||@BOS 4, DET 2||Recap|
|Fri 7/6||@DET 9, BOS 2||Recap|
|Sat 7/7||@DET 3, BOS 2||Recap|
|» Sun 7/8||@DET 6, BOS 5||Box Score|
|Complete Schedule: Red Sox | Tigers|
|1st||G Sheffield homered to left.||0||1|
|3rd||D Ortiz hit by pitch, J Lugo scored, C Crisp to third, D Pedroia to second.||1||1|
|3rd||M Lowell hit sacrifice fly to left, C Crisp scored, D Pedroia to third, D Ortiz to second.||2||1|
|3rd||M Thames homered to center.||2||2|
|3rd||S Casey singled to right, G Sheffield scored.||2||3|
|3rd||C Guillen homered to right, S Casey scored.||2||5|
|4th||G Sheffield hit a ground rule double to deep left, C Granderson scored, M Thames to third.||2||6|
|7th||J Bailey homered to left.||3||6|
|7th||J Lugo homered to left.||4||6|
|8th||J Lugo doubled to left, J Drew scored.||5||6|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Comerica Park, Detroit, MI|
|Attendance||41,943 (101.7% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||87 degrees, sunny|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Jim Wolf, First Base - Rob Drake, Second Base - Jim Joyce, Third Base - Mike Everitt|