8:05 PM ET, August 5, 2007
Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois
• Summary: Tom Glavine pitched 6 1/3 effective innings and the bullpen did the rest as the left-hander became the 23rd player in major league history to win 300 games.
• Hero: Glavine became only the fifth lefty to win 300 games and the first since Steve Carlton in 1983.
• Unsung heroes: Luis Castillo had four of the Mets' 16 hits and Carlos Delgado drove in four runs.
• End of an era? There might not be another 300-game winner for a very long time. Randy Johnson is closest at 284, but back surgery threatens to end his career.
• Did you see that? Cubs fans had something to cheer about. Right-hander Kerry Wood pitched for the first time since June 2006.
• Injury update: Chicago center fielder Alfonso Soriano came up lame running the bases in the third and left the game with a quadriceps strain.
• Quotable: "I think the feeling right now is probably relief. At some point in time, I don't know when, the historic side of it will sink in. I know the company I'm in, and I'm as proud as can be to be in that company." -- Glavine
-- ESPN.com news services
Mets 8, Cubs 3
|GAME OF THE WEEK|
ESPN Classic will re-air Glavine's 300th win on Thursday at 8 p.m. ET as an Instant Classic.|
|Tom Glavine joined some elite company on Sunday with his win against the Cubs. Here are the left-handers with the most wins in MLB history:|
|Tom Glavine became the sixth 300-game winner to have a brother play in the major leagues. Mike Glavine played first base, while all of the other brothers were also pitchers. Here's the list:|
|John Clarkson||Walter||Pitched 1904-08|
|Christy Mathewson||Henry||0-1 for 1906-07 Giants|
|Phil Niekro||Joe||Won 221 games|
|Gaylord Perry||Jim||Won 215 games|
|Greg Maddux||Mike||39-37 in 15 seasons|
|Tom Glavine||Mike||Six games for '03 Mets|
Lo Duca returned after missing six games with a tender hamstring. ... The Cubs are 10-17 against left-handed starters.
Regular Season Series
|2nd||T Glavine singled to center, L Milledge scored.||1||0|
|5th||C Delgado doubled to deep right, L Castillo scored.||2||0|
|5th||S Green doubled to deep right, C Delgado scored.||3||0|
|6th||J Reyes singled to center, L Milledge scored.||4||0|
|6th||C Delgado grounded out to second, J Reyes scored, L Castillo to third, D Wright to second.||5||0|
|6th||A Ramirez doubled to deep center, D Lee scored.||5||1|
|7th||J Jones grounded out to second, A Pagan scored, J Kendall to second.||5||2|
|7th||M Fontenot doubled to left, J Kendall scored.||5||3|
|8th||C Delgado doubled to deep center, L Castillo scored, D Wright to third.||6||3|
|8th||P Lo Duca singled to left, D Wright scored, C Delgado to third, M Alou to second.||7||3|
|9th||C Delgado hit sacrifice fly to right, J Reyes scored.||8||3|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL|
|Attendance||41,599 (101.4% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||83 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Marty Foster, First Base - Fieldin Culbreth, Second Base - Paul Schrieber, Third Base - Tim Mcclelland|