10:05 PM ET, August 7, 2007
Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, California
• Summary: Gary Matthews Jr. drove in four runs after robbing Boston's Coco Crisp of a home run, and the Angels beat the Red Sox.
• Turning point: In the middle game of a series featuring the teams with the two best records in baseball, the Red Sox took a 4-2 lead in the fifth on Doug Mirabelli's two-run homer and an RBI double by Kevin Youkilis. But the Angels responded with five in the bottom half to pull ahead 7-4.
• Did you see that?: Matthews leaped above the fence to pull back Crisp's bid for his sixth home run, ending the fourth inning.
• Figure this: Youkilis set a Red Sox record for most consecutive fielding chances by a first baseman without an error when he made an unassisted putout on Garret Anderson's grounder in the seventh. Youkilis finished with seven putouts and two assists, extending his streak to 1,305 total chances since his last miscue on July 4, 2006 at Tampa Bay.
• Quotable: "When you play them, the game is at a fast pace. They're so aggressive in all aspects of the game -- hitting, running the bases -- so if you're not ready for it, they can run you into mistakes. And we allowed that to happen a few times." -- Boston manager Terry Francona
-- ESPN.com news services
Angels 10, Red Sox 4
Mirabelli has caught all 41 of Wakefield's starts since being reacquired from San Diego on May 1, 2006 for C Josh Bard and reliever Cla Meredith. The Red Sox had little choice but to bring Mirabelli back, after Bard had committed 10 passed balls in Wakefield's first four starts last season. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Mirabelli has had 12 passed balls with Wakefield on the mound since returning to the Sox. ... Figgins' first-inning steal was the 100th of the season for the Angels, the seventh straight season they've reached triple digits. They lead the AL and are attempting to join the Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers as the only franchises in history to lead their league in that category four years in a row.
Regular Season Series
|Boston leads 6-4 (as of Tue 8/7)|
|Fri 4/13||@BOS 10, LAA 1||Recap|
|Sat 4/14||@BOS 8, LAA 0||Recap|
|Mon 4/16||@BOS 7, LAA 2||Recap|
|Mon 8/6||@LAA 4, BOS 2||Recap|
|» Tue 8/7||@LAA 10, BOS 4||Box Score|
|Wed 8/8||BOS 9, @LAA 6||Recap|
|Fri 8/17||@BOS 8, LAA 4||Recap|
|Fri 8/17||LAA 7, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Sat 8/18||@BOS 10, LAA 5||Recap|
|Sun 8/19||LAA 3, @BOS 1||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Red Sox | Angels|
|1st||M Ramirez grounded into fielder's choice to second, D Pedroia scored, D Ortiz out at second.||1||0|
|2nd||M Izturis singled to center, C Kotchman scored, M Izturis to second advancing on throw.||1||1|
|4th||J Mathis doubled to deep center, M Izturis scored.||1||2|
|5th||D Mirabelli homered to left, W Pena scored.||3||2|
|5th||K Youkilis doubled to deep left, D Pedroia scored.||4||2|
|5th||O Cabrera doubled to deep center, C Figgins scored.||4||3|
|5th||G Matthews singled to left, O Cabrera and V Guerrero scored, G Anderson to second.||4||5|
|5th||M Izturis grounded into fielder's choice to second, G Anderson scored, G Matthews to third.||4||6|
|5th||J Mathis reached on bunt single to pitcher, G Matthews scored, M Izturis to second.||4||7|
|6th||G Matthews doubled to deep left, V Guerrero scored.||4||8|
|6th||C Kotchman doubled to center, G Matthews scored, C Kotchman to third on error by center fielder C Crisp.||4||9|
|8th||G Matthews homered to center.||4||10|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, CA|
|Attendance||44,177 (97.1% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||74 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Phil Cuzzi, First Base - Tom Hallion, Second Base - Jerry Crawford, Third Base - James Hoye|