3:05 PM ET, August 8, 2007
Coors Field, Denver, Colorado
• Summary: Garrett Atkins matched his career high with six RBIs and had four of Colorado's 23 hits in a 19-4 rout of the slumping Brewers that completed a three-game sweep for the Rockies.
• Unsung heroes: Atkins was 4-for-4 with two doubles, and Troy Tulowitzki went 4-for-5 with two doubles, a home run and three RBIs. Matt Holliday tripled and drove in two runs, and Brad Hawpe hit a two-run homer for the Rockies.
• Figure this: Colorado had its biggest day at the plate since a 20-1 victory over San Diego on Sept. 20, 2005, when the Rockies also had 23 hits.
• Beneficiary: Jeff Francis improved to 8-0 in his last 11 starts. He allowed three runs and six hits in five innings.
• Losing cause: Prince Fielder hit his NL-leading 34th homer for the Brewers, who have lost four straight and 14 of 20. Milwaukee remained one game ahead of second-place Chicago in the NL Central, after the Cubs lost 8-2 to the Houston Astros on Wednesday night.
• Quotable: "You get out of rhythm. [But] you ask any pitcher if they would rather have their rhythm or have a 16-run lead in the third inning and they would take the lead." -- Francis on his long stretches in the dugout
-- ESPN.com news services
Rockies 19, Brewers 4
Milwaukee 2B Tony Graffanino left after the first inning with a sprained right knee. ... The Brewers waived veteran RHP Elmer Dessens, who had been designated for assignment on Saturday. Dessens had a 6.60 ERA in 15 innings. Colorado's seven-run second inning tied a season high for runs in an inning. ... The Rockies placed C Edwin Bellorin (strained hamstring) on the 15-day DL and purchased the contract of C Alvin Colina from Colorado Springs.
Regular Season Series
|1st||G Atkins doubled to deep right, K Matsui scored, T Helton to third.||0||1|
|2nd||R Spilborghs homered to left center.||0||2|
|2nd||M Holliday tripled to deep left center, K Matsui and T Tulowitzki scored.||0||4|
|2nd||T Helton doubled to deep left, M Holliday scored.||0||5|
|2nd||G Atkins singled to left, T Helton scored, G Atkins to second advancing on throw.||0||6|
|2nd||B Hawpe homered to center, G Atkins scored.||0||8|
|3rd||K Matsui singled to left, Y Torrealba scored.||0||9|
|3rd||G Atkins singled to center, K Matsui and T Tulowitzki scored, M Holliday to third.||0||11|
|4th||P Fielder homered to left, R Braun scored.||2||11|
|4th||Y Torrealba doubled to deep left, R Spilborghs scored.||2||12|
|4th||K Matsui grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, Y Torrealba scored, J Francis out at second.||2||13|
|4th||T Tulowitzki homered to left, K Matsui scored.||2||15|
|4th||G Atkins doubled to deep right center, M Holliday scored.||2||16|
|5th||C Hart doubled to deep left, J Dillon scored, D Miller to third.||3||16|
|6th||G Atkins hit sacrifice fly to center, T Tulowitzki scored.||3||17|
|7th||T Tulowitzki singled to center, R Spilborghs scored, Y Torrealba to third, K Matsui to second.||3||18|
|7th||J Baker singled to left, Y Torrealba scored, K Matsui to third, T Tulowitzki to second.||3||19|
|8th||R Braun singled to center, J Hardy scored.||4||19|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Coors Field, Denver, CO|
|Attendance||26,613 (52.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||88 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Sam Holbrook, First Base - Randy Marsh, Second Base - Bob Davidson, Third Base - Brian Knight|