7:05 PM ET, August 13, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield dominated the Devil Rays, taking a no-hitter into the seventh and finishing with six strikeouts as the Red Sox, who had lost four of their previous six games, picked up the win.
• Turning point: Wakefield left Carl Crawford stranded at third in the seventh inning to preserve the shutout.
• Unsung hero: Julio Lugo finished with three hits, an RBI and a run scored.
• Figure this: Wakefield has recorded a decision in all 24 of his starts. No pitcher with at least 24 starts has been able to do that over a whole season since 1939.
• Welcome home: Boston's Jon Lester will start Tuesday -- his first start at Fenway Park since being diagnosed with cancer last August.
• Quotable: "I think it goes under the radar some times because of the way he pitches. I hope it doesn't. It's a phenomenal outing, and he's been phenomenal. And he's not done." -- Boston manager Terry Francona on Wakefield
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 3, Devil Rays 0
Wakefield has pitched a three-hit complete game twice, the last in 2005 against the New York Yankees. ... Wakefield has recorded a decision in all 24 of his starts. No pitcher with at least 24 starts has been able to do that over a whole season since 1939 ... It was the 10th shutout for Boston pitchers, tying Seattle for the most in the AL. ... Neither team took batting practice because of pregame showers. ... Red Sox RHP Brendan Donnelly will have Tommy John ligament transplant surgery on his right elbow on Tuesday. He is out for 12-18 months. ... Boston LHP Jon Lester will start Tuesday -- his first start at Fenway Park since being diagnosed with cancer last August. "With any start, you don't want to get too amped up. I have enough trouble getting the ball over the plate already," he said with a smile. "It probably won't sink in until tomorrow when I see the Fenway background." ... Red Sox OF Coco Crisp had the day off with what doctors suspect is a virus. He's scheduled for more tests to determine the cause.
Regular Season Series
|Boston leads 13-5 (as of Mon 8/13)|
|Tue 7/3||@BOS 4, TB 1||Recap|
|Wed 7/4||@BOS 7, TB 5||Recap|
|Thu 7/5||@BOS 15, TB 4||Recap|
|Fri 7/27||BOS 7, @TB 1||Recap|
|Sat 7/28||BOS 12, @TB 6||Recap|
|Sun 7/29||@TB 5, BOS 2||Recap|
|» Mon 8/13||@BOS 3, TB 0||Box Score|
|Tue 8/14||@BOS 2, TB 1||Recap|
|Wed 8/15||TB 6, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Mon 8/20||BOS 6, @TB 0||Recap|
|Tue 8/21||BOS 8, @TB 6||Recap|
|Wed 8/22||@TB 2, BOS 1||Recap|
|Mon 9/10||TB 1, @BOS 0||Recap|
|Tue 9/11||@BOS 16, TB 10||Recap|
|Wed 9/12||@BOS 5, TB 4||Recap|
|Fri 9/21||BOS 8, @TB 1||Recap|
|Sat 9/22||BOS 8, @TB 6||Recap|
|Sun 9/23||@TB 5, BOS 4|
|Complete Schedule: Devil Rays | Red Sox|
|1st||D Ortiz doubled to deep center, J Lugo scored.||0||1|
|7th||J Lugo singled to center, D Mirabelli scored, E Hinske to second.||0||2|
|8th||M Lowell singled to center, M Ramirez scored, J Drew to second.||0||3|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,808 (99.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||73 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Adam Dowdy, First Base - Fieldin Culbreth, Second Base - Paul Schrieber, Third Base - Tim Mcclelland|