8:05 PM ET, August 14, 2007
Miller Park, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
• Summary: The Cardinals scored six runs in the fifth inning to crush the Brewers and move only 4½ games behind first-place Milwaukee.
• Turning point: With the Brewers leading 3-2 in the fifth, Chris Capuano plunked Ryan Ludwick. Then a potential double-play ball glanced off Ryan Braun's glove, allowing two runs to score.
• Hero: Jim Edmonds went 4-for-6 with three RBIs for the Cards.
• Unsung hero: Albert Pujols added three hits and scored three runs.
• Figure this: The Brewers won Capuano's first seven starts of the season but have lost the last 15.
• Quotable: "I don't think we ever counted them out. But at the same time I feel like we're still in first place. We're still in a position we want to be in and we still control our own destiny." -- Braun
-- ESPN.com news services
Cardinals 12, Brewers 4
Commissioner Bud Selig, who owned the Brewers in 1982, addressed the crowd during the pregame ceremony but did not speak to reporters afterward. ... Yost said he has not heard anything from the league office about a potential punishment for Fielder, who was involved in a confrontation with umpire Wally Bell during the Brewers' 6-4 loss at Houston on Sunday. ... Cardinals pitcher Mark Mulder will likely make a minor-league rehab start on Thursday. Mulder has missed 116 games as a result of left shoulder surgery. ... Braun, hitting in the cleanup spot for the first time, went 3-for-4 and hit his 23rd home run of the year. He has an 11-game hitting streak.
Regular Season Series
|St. Louis leads 8-7 (as of Tue 8/14)|
|Sat 4/14||MIL 3, @STL 2||Recap|
|Sun 4/15||@STL 10, MIL 2||Recap|
|Mon 4/30||@MIL 7, STL 1||Recap|
|Tue 5/1||@MIL 12, STL 2||Recap|
|Wed 5/2||@MIL 4, STL 0||Recap|
|Fri 7/27||MIL 12, @STL 2||Recap|
|Sat 7/28||@STL 7, MIL 6||Recap|
|Sat 7/28||@STL 5, MIL 2||Recap|
|Sun 7/29||@STL 9, MIL 5||Recap|
|» Tue 8/14||STL 12, @MIL 4||Box Score|
|Wed 8/15||STL 8, @MIL 3||Recap|
|Thu 8/16||STL 8, @MIL 0||Recap|
|Mon 9/24||@MIL 13, STL 5||Recap|
|Tue 9/25||@MIL 9, STL 1||Recap|
|Wed 9/26||STL 7, @MIL 3||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Cardinals | Brewers|
|1st||P Fielder homered to center.||0||1|
|1st||G Jenkins homered to center, R Braun scored.||0||3|
|3rd||R Ludwick doubled to deep right, B Ryan and D Eckstein scored.||2||3|
|5th||S Rolen safe at first on error by third baseman R Braun, D Eckstein and A Pujols scored, R Ludwick to second.||4||3|
|5th||Y Molina walked, R Ludwick scored, S Rolen to third, J Edmonds to second.||5||3|
|5th||K Wells singled to right, S Rolen and J Edmonds scored, Y Molina to third.||7||3|
|5th||D Eckstein hit sacrifice fly to left, Y Molina scored, K Wells tagged out at third.||8||3|
|8th||J Edmonds singled to center, A Pujols scored, S Rolen to second.||9||3|
|8th||Y Molina singled to right, S Rolen scored, J Edmonds to third.||10||3|
|8th||R Braun homered to left center.||10||4|
|9th||J Edmonds doubled to deep center, A Pujols and A Miles scored.||12||4|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Miller Park, Milwaukee, WI|
|Attendance||37,518 (89.5% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||80 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Kerwin Danley, First Base - Doug Eddings, Second Base - Mike Everitt, Third Base - Dana Demuth|