7:05 PM ET, September 5, 2007
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
• Summary: After limping into Yankee Stadium, Alex Rodriguez proved he was "ready to roll" and nailed two homers in the seventh inning. The Yankees used the rally to beat the Mariners Wednesday night.
• Most Valuable Player: A-Rod had the 51st multihomer game of his career and became the first Yankees player to homer twice in an inning since Cliff Johnson on June 30, 1977, at Toronto.
• Unsung heroes: Jose Molina put the Yankees on the board in the third with his first home run of the year. Joba Chamberlain pitched a 1-2-3 seventh to win in his first major league decision. Chamberlain hasn't allowed a run in 12 1/3 innings over 10 games in his big league career.
• Goat: Jarrod Washburn dropped to 1-7 with 5.32 ERA in 11 starts since the All-Star break, allowing three runs -- two earned -- and three hits in six-plus innings.
• Figure this: A-Rod's first homer tied Mel Ott on the career list, and his second matched Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews for 17th place at 512.
• Quotable: "We get any of us old folks in that MRI machine for an hour, who knows what the hell the thing is going to say. I knew I felt good enough to play, and I came with the mind-set ready to play." -- A-Rod
-- ESPN.com news services
Yankees 10, Mariners 2
Molina's previous homer was on Sept. 14 last year for the Los Angeles Angels. ... For the second straight night, the Yankees' half of the seventh took 32 minutes. ... Seattle pitcher Rick White was ejected in the eighth for arguing balls and strikes from the mound.
Regular Season Series
|Series tied 5-5 (as of Wed 9/5)|
|Fri 5/4||SEA 15, @NYY 11||Recap|
|Sat 5/5||@NYY 8, SEA 1||Recap|
|Sun 5/6||@NYY 5, SEA 0||Recap|
|Mon 5/7||SEA 3, @NYY 2||Recap|
|Fri 5/11||@SEA 3, NYY 0||Recap|
|Sat 5/12||NYY 7, @SEA 2||Recap|
|Sun 5/13||@SEA 2, NYY 1||Recap|
|Mon 9/3||SEA 7, @NYY 1||Recap|
|Tue 9/4||@NYY 12, SEA 3||Recap|
|» Wed 9/5||@NYY 10, SEA 2||Box Score|
|Complete Schedule: Mariners | Yankees|
|3rd||R Ibanez homered to right, J Guillen scored.||2||0|
|3rd||J Molina homered to left.||2||1|
|7th||J Posada walked, R Cano scored, B Abreu to third, W Betemit to second.||0||0|
|7th||J Damon grounded into fielder's choice to second, B Abreu scored, J Posada out at second, W Betemit to third.||0||0|
|7th||M Cabrera singled to right, W Betemit scored, J Damon to third.||0||0|
|7th||D Jeter doubled to deep right center, J Damon and M Cabrera scored, D Jeter to third advancing on throw.||0||0|
|7th||A Rodriguez homered to left, D Jeter scored.||0||0|
|8th||B Abreu scored on J Parrish's wild pitch.||2||10|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY|
|Attendance||52,538 (106.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||74 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Larry Vanover, First Base - Tony Randazzo, Second Base - Gerry Davis, Third Base - Greg Gibson|