7:05 PM ET, September 14, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: Everything was going smoothly for the Red Sox until Jason Giambi stepped to the plate in the eighth inning. His home run started a six-run rally that ended with Alex Rodriguez's RBI single and allowed New York to take an 8-7 lead after trailing 7-2.
• Familiar tormentor: Ex-Red Sox star Johnny Damon was 4-for-6, had two doubles, an RBI and a run. It was his first four-hit game against Boston and his first overall since June 17, 2006 at Washington.
• Ticking clock: The game lasted 4 hours and 43 minutes, marking the longest nine-inning game this season. It passed the previous high of 4 hours and 8 minutes set by the A's and Rangers on Sept. 9.
• Making history: Derek Jeter's run in the eighth gave him 1,367, moving him into fifth place past Bernie Williams in Yankees' history.
• Figure this: Boston's Hideki Okajima had never allowed a home run to a lefty batter this season, but he gave up consecutive blasts to Giambi and Robinson Cano.
• Hunt for October: The Yankees' win moved them to within 4½ games of Boston for the AL East crown.
• Quotable: "We lucked out. That eighth inning was incredible. The only thing predictable in this ballpark is the unpredictable." -- Yankees manager Joe Torre
-- ESPN.com news services
Yankees 8, Red Sox 7
Ellsbury extended his hitting streak to all 12 games he's played since being recalled Sept. 1 from Triple-A Pawtucket. ... Boston RHP Matt Clement threw a simulated game before the regular game. He has been sidelined all season following shoulder surgery last Sept. 26. ... Red Sox reliever Mike Timlin tied Mike Jackson for 11th place on the career list with 1,005 appearances. ... The Yankees have hit consecutive homers six times in an inning this season. ... Jeter's run in the eighth gave him 1,367, moving him past Bernie Williams into sole possession of fifth place in team history.
Regular Season Series
|New York leads 10-8 (as of Fri 9/14)|
|Fri 4/20||@BOS 7, NYY 6||Recap|
|Sat 4/21||@BOS 7, NYY 5||Recap|
|Sun 4/22||@BOS 7, NYY 6||Recap|
|Fri 4/27||BOS 11, @NYY 4||Recap|
|Sat 4/28||@NYY 3, BOS 1||Recap|
|Sun 4/29||BOS 7, @NYY 4||Recap|
|Mon 5/21||@NYY 6, BOS 2||Recap|
|Tue 5/22||BOS 7, @NYY 3||Recap|
|Wed 5/23||@NYY 8, BOS 3||Recap|
|Fri 6/1||NYY 9, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Sat 6/2||@BOS 11, NYY 6||Recap|
|Sun 6/3||NYY 6, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Tue 8/28||@NYY 5, BOS 3||Recap|
|Wed 8/29||@NYY 4, BOS 3||Recap|
|Thu 8/30||@NYY 5, BOS 0||Recap|
|» Fri 9/14||NYY 8, @BOS 7||Box Score|
|Sat 9/15||@BOS 10, NYY 1||Recap|
|Sun 9/16||NYY 4, @BOS 3||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Yankees | Red Sox|
|2nd||J Ellsbury singled to center, K Youkilis scored, B Kielty to second.||0||1|
|3rd||J Drew safe at first on error by first baseman J Giambi, M Lowell scored, K Youkilis to third.||0||2|
|4th||H Matsui tripled to deep right, J Posada scored.||1||2|
|4th||D Pedroia singled to center, B Kielty and J Ellsbury scored, D Pedroia to second advancing on throw.||1||4|
|4th||M Lowell reached on infield single to shortstop, D Pedroia scored, D Ortiz to second.||1||5|
|6th||J Damon reached on infield single to second, J Posada scored, H Matsui to third, M Cabrera to second.||2||5|
|6th||K Youkilis singled to center, J Lugo scored, D Ortiz to second.||2||6|
|6th||J Drew singled to right, D Ortiz scored, K Youkilis to third.||2||7|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,590 (98.7% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||70 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Jim Reynolds, First Base - Gary Cederstrom, Second Base - Lance Barksdale, Third Base - Tim Welke|