7:07 PM ET, September 17, 2007
Rogers Centre, Toronto, Ontario
• Summary: The Red Sox had won their five previous games in Toronto, but Frank Thomas turned things around for the Blue Jays after hitting three homers to bypass Mel Ott and draw even with Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews for 18th on the career home run list with 512. Two of his homers came off Tim Wakefield.
• Familiar foe: Thomas had three homers in a game one other time -- hitting all of them off Wakefield at Fenway Park on Sept. 15, 1996.
• Hunt for October: The Red Sox, who have lost three of their last four games, dropped to 3½ games ahead of the Yankees, the smallest division margin for the Red Sox since before play on May 2.
• Most of all: Only Mike Mussina (9) has given up more home runs to Thomas than Wakefield (6).
• Figure this: It was the fourth multihomer game of the season for Thomas and the 33rd of his career.
• Quotable: "There's a reason he's got 512 homers. If you make mistakes to him, they leave the yard pretty quick." -- Wakefield
-- ESPN.com news services
Blue Jays 6, Red Sox 1
The magic number is derived by adding one to the number of remaining games and subtracting the number of games ahead in the loss column from the second-place team. Here's where the leaders stand:
The Blue Jays matched a season high with three stolen bases. ... Boston had won its prior five games in Toronto. ... Alex Rios reached in the eighth when Cora slipped and fell on his chest while throwing to first.
Regular Season Series
|Series tied 9-9 (as of Mon 9/17)|
|Tue 4/17||@TOR 2, BOS 1||Recap|
|Wed 4/18||BOS 4, @TOR 1||Recap|
|Thu 4/19||BOS 5, @TOR 3||Recap|
|Mon 4/23||TOR 7, @BOS 3||Recap|
|Tue 4/24||TOR 10, @BOS 3||Recap|
|Tue 5/8||BOS 9, @TOR 2||Recap|
|Wed 5/9||BOS 9, @TOR 3||Recap|
|Thu 5/10||BOS 8, @TOR 0||Recap|
|Thu 7/12||@BOS 7, TOR 4||Recap|
|Fri 7/13||TOR 6, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Sat 7/14||@BOS 9, TOR 4||Recap|
|Sun 7/15||TOR 2, @BOS 1||Recap|
|Mon 9/3||@BOS 13, TOR 10||Recap|
|Tue 9/4||@BOS 5, TOR 3||Recap|
|Wed 9/5||TOR 6, @BOS 4|
|» Mon 9/17||@TOR 6, BOS 1||Box Score|
|Tue 9/18||@TOR 4, BOS 3||Recap|
|Wed 9/19||@TOR 6, BOS 1||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Red Sox | Blue Jays|
|1st||F Thomas homered to left, V Wells scored.||0||2|
|4th||M Lowell doubled to deep left, J Ellsbury scored.||1||2|
|5th||V Wells grounded into fielder's choice to pitcher, R Adams scored, J McDonald out at second.||1||3|
|6th||F Thomas homered to left.||1||4|
|8th||F Thomas homered to left, A Rios scored.||1||6|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Rogers Centre, Toronto, ON|
|Attendance||29,316 (59.5% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||64 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Joe West, First Base - Ed Rapuano, Second Base - Ed Hickox, Third Base - Scott Barry|