8:05 PM ET, September 17, 2007
Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois
• Summary: Mark DeRosa went 5-for-5, his last hit capping a Cubs three-run rally in the ninth inning for a win over the Reds.
• Turning point: Down three going into the ninth, Ryan Theriot walked and Derrek Lee singled. Aramis Ramirez then hit a triple the right-center gap that tied the game and set up DeRosa's heroics.
• Hero: DeRosa is 10-for-10 in his last two games against the Reds, going 5-for-5 in a 12-4 win on Aug. 16 at Wrigley Field.
• Unsung hero: Ramirez reached out and sent a sinking liner just beyond the diving grasp of Reds center fielder Norris Hopper.
• Hunt for October: The Cubs maintained a one-game lead over the Brewers -- a 6-0 winner over the Astros -- in the NL Central.
• Quotable: "It was huge. You look at the scoreboard and see 6-0 Milwaukee, you can't quit in that situation. You got to keep fighting in front of your home fans." -- DeRosa
-- ESPN.com news services
Cubs 7, Reds 6
The magic number is derived by adding one to the number of remaining games and subtracting the number of games ahead in the loss column from the second-place team. Here's where the leaders stand:
Keppinger, who also walked, missed the cycle by a homer. ... Alfonso Soriano doubled in the sixth but unwisely tried to go to third on a grounder to shortstop and was thrown out easily.
Regular Season Series
|Series tied 9-9 (as of Mon 9/17)|
|Mon 4/2||@CIN 5, CHC 1||Recap|
|Wed 4/4||CHC 4, @CIN 1||Recap|
|Thu 4/5||@CIN 5, CHC 2||Recap|
|Fri 4/13||CIN 6, @CHC 5||Recap|
|Sat 4/14||@CHC 7, CIN 0||Recap|
|Sun 4/15||CIN 1, @CHC 0||Recap|
|Fri 7/27||@CIN 5, CHC 4||Recap|
|Sat 7/28||CHC 8, @CIN 1||Recap|
|Sun 7/29||CHC 6, @CIN 0||Recap|
|Tue 8/14||CIN 6, @CHC 5||Recap|
|Wed 8/15||CIN 11, @CHC 9||Recap|
|Thu 8/16||@CHC 12, CIN 4||Recap|
|» Mon 9/17||@CHC 7, CIN 6||Box Score|
|Tue 9/18||CIN 5, @CHC 2||Recap|
|Wed 9/19||@CHC 3, CIN 2||Recap|
|Fri 9/28||CHC 6, @CIN 0||Recap|
|Sat 9/29||CHC 4, @CIN 0||Recap|
|Sun 9/30||@CIN 8, CHC 4||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Reds | Cubs|
|3rd||N Hopper grounded out to shortstop, D Ross scored.||1||0|
|3rd||C Floyd homered to right, A Ramirez scored.||1||2|
|3rd||M DeRosa homered to left.||1||3|
|5th||J Keppinger singled to deep left, B Arroyo scored, N Hopper to second.||2||3|
|5th||B Phillips singled to left, N Hopper scored, J Keppinger to second, J Keppinger to third advancing on throw.||3||3|
|5th||A Dunn grounded into fielder's choice to second, J Keppinger scored, B Phillips out at second.||4||3|
|5th||J Jones singled to right, D Lee scored, M DeRosa to third.||4||4|
|6th||J Keppinger doubled to center, N Hopper scored.||5||4|
|6th||K Griffey Jr singled to right center, J Keppinger scored.||6||4|
|9th||A Ramirez tripled to deep center, R Theriot and D Lee scored.||6||6|
|9th||M DeRosa reached on infield single to second, S Fuld scored, F Pie to second.||6||7|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL|
|Attendance||39,075 (95.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||75 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Rick Reed, First Base - Tim Timmons, Second Base - Alfonso Marquez, Third Base - Chuck Meriwether|