7:05 PM ET, September 18, 2007
Progressive Field, Cleveland, Ohio
• Summary: Travis Hafner blasted Justin Verlander's 1-1 pitch over the wall in right-center field to tie it up at 4 as the Indians rallied past the Tigers Tuesday night.
• Unsung heroes: Rookie Jensen Lewis (1-1) pitched three hitless innings for his first major league win. Joe Borowski worked the ninth for his league-leading 41st save in 47 tries.
• Goat: Verlander (17-6), who had never given up four homers before, lost for just the second time in nine starts.
• Figure this: The Tigers lead the AL with 540 extra-base hits, six shy of matching the club record set in 1929.
• Hunt for October: Now 19-5 since Aug. 25, the Indians pushed their lead in the AL Central to 6 1/2 games over second-place Detroit.
• Quotable: "We keep with our plan and die with our plan," -- Victor Martinez on the Indians' success against Verlander
-- ESPN.com news services
Indians 7, Tigers 4
The magic number is derived by adding one to the number of remaining games and subtracting the number of games ahead in the loss column from the second-place team. Here's where the leaders stand:
Casey Blake felt a tad guilty for his celebration while circling the bases following Monday's walk-off homer. But if he thought about apologizing, Leyland, who sprinted onto the field last week when Detroit scored four runs in the ninth to beat Toronto, said not to bother. "Did you see me? That doesn't offend me one bit," Leyland said. "Casey Blake and the entire Cleveland team is a class act. I don't have any problem with that. I'd have celebrated, too." ... The Tigers lead the AL with 540 extra-base hits, six shy of matching the club record set in 1929. ... Cleveland is 11-6 vs. Detroit.
Regular Season Series
|Cleveland leads 12-6 (as of Tue 9/18)|
|Fri 5/25||CLE 7, @DET 4||Recap|
|Sat 5/26||CLE 6, @DET 3||Recap|
|Sun 5/27||CLE 5, @DET 3||Recap|
|Thu 5/31||@CLE 11, DET 5||Recap|
|Fri 6/1||@CLE 12, DET 11||Recap|
|Sat 6/2||DET 9, @CLE 5||Recap|
|Sun 6/3||DET 9, @CLE 2||Recap|
|Tue 7/3||CLE 5, @DET 4||Recap|
|Wed 7/4||@DET 6, CLE 4||Recap|
|Thu 7/5||@DET 12, CLE 3||Recap|
|Tue 8/14||DET 6, @CLE 2||Recap|
|Wed 8/15||@CLE 5, DET 2||Recap|
|Tue 8/21||@DET 2, CLE 1||Recap|
|Wed 8/22||CLE 11, @DET 8||Recap|
|Thu 8/23||CLE 3, @DET 1||Recap|
|Mon 9/17||@CLE 6, DET 5||Recap|
|» Tue 9/18||@CLE 7, DET 4||Box Score|
|Wed 9/19||@CLE 4, DET 2||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Tigers | Indians|
|2nd||R Santiago singled to right, M Thames scored.||1||0|
|2nd||R Garko homered to center.||1||1|
|3rd||M Thames walked, P Polanco scored, G Sheffield to third, M Ordonez to second.||2||1|
|3rd||R Santiago singled to right, G Sheffield scored, M Ordonez to third, M Thames to second, M Ordonez to third, M Thames to third, R Santiago to second on error by catcher V Martinez.M Ordonez tagged out||3||1|
|3rd||T Hafner homered to center, G Sizemore and A Cabrera scored.||4||4|
|6th||V Martinez homered to center.||4||5|
|6th||F Gutierrez homered to left, K Lofton scored.||4||7|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Progressive Field, Cleveland, OH|
|Attendance||41,103 (97.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||72 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Paul Emmel, First Base - Gary Darling, Second Base - Jerry Meals, Third Base - Larry Poncino|