1:05 PM ET, September 22, 2007
Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois
• Summary: Alfonso Soriano connected for two of the Cubs' four homers as Chicago sent the Pirates to their season-high eighth loss in a row. The Cubs hit four home runs for the second straight game.
• Hunt for October: The Cubs began the day with a 1½-game lead over Milwaukee, which takes on Atlanta on Saturday night.
• Hero: Soriano has four home runs in three games and 13 in the 25 contests since he came off the disabled list Aug. 28.
• Unsung heroes: Aramis Ramirez, who had two homers Friday, added another and Derrek Lee also went deep for Chicago.
• Figure this: After hitting only 106 homers in the first five months of the season, the Cubs have connected for 36 in the first three weeks of September.
• Quotable: "This is the time of the year you hope that your big people get hot and carry you and that's exactly what's happening. It's coming at just the right time." -- Cubs manager Lou Piniella
-- ESPN.com news services
Cubs 9, Pirates 5
The magic number is derived by adding one to the number of remaining games and subtracting the number of games ahead in the loss column from the second-place team. Here's where the leaders stand:
|x-clinched playoff spot|
Cesar Izturis, who had to leave Friday's game because of elbow irritation, pinch hit in the fifth. ... Piniella said Steve Trachsel will start Thursday's game at Florida, the finale of a three-game series against the Marlins. Trachsel threw a simulated game after Saturday's win. The Cubs then end the season with three games in Cincinnati. ... Chicago rookie outfielder Sam Fuld, a late-season call-up, made a great catch while crashing into the brick wall in the seventh inning to snare Nyjer Morgan's line drive and then threw back to first to double off McLouth for a double play. ... An announced crowd of 41,271 ran 2007 attendance at Wrigley Field to 3,211,098 -- a single-season franchise record.
Regular Season Series
|Chicago leads 8-7 (as of Sat 9/22)|
|Mon 4/30||@PIT 3, CHC 2||Recap|
|Tue 5/1||CHC 8, @PIT 6||Recap|
|Wed 5/2||CHC 7, @PIT 1||Recap|
|Tue 5/8||PIT 4, @CHC 3||Recap|
|Wed 5/9||@CHC 1, PIT 0||Recap|
|Thu 5/10||PIT 6, @CHC 4||Recap|
|Fri 7/6||@PIT 8, CHC 4||Recap|
|Sat 7/7||CHC 7, @PIT 1||Recap|
|Sun 7/8||@PIT 6, CHC 2||Recap|
|Fri 9/7||@PIT 6, CHC 1||Recap|
|Sat 9/8||CHC 5, @PIT 1||Recap|
|Sun 9/9||@PIT 10, CHC 5||Recap|
|Fri 9/21||@CHC 13, PIT 8||Recap|
|» Sat 9/22||@CHC 9, PIT 5||Box Score|
|Sun 9/23||@CHC 8, PIT 0|
|Complete Schedule: Pirates | Cubs|
|1st||D Lee homered to left.||0||1|
|1st||G Soto reached on infield single to second, A Ramirez to third, M Murton to second, A Ramirez scored, M Murton to third on throwing error by second baseman F Sanchez.||0||2|
|2nd||M Kata doubled to right, R Paulino scored, S Pearce to third.||1||2|
|2nd||Z Duke singled to left, S Pearce and M Kata scored.||3||2|
|2nd||A Soriano homered to right.||3||3|
|3rd||A Ramirez homered to left, D Lee scored.||3||5|
|5th||A Soriano homered to left center, R Theriot scored.||3||7|
|7th||A Soriano doubled to deep left, J Jones and R Theriot scored.||3||9|
|8th||F Sanchez tripled to deep right, J Bautista scored.||4||9|
|9th||N McLouth homered to right.||5||9|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL|
|Attendance||41,271 (100.6% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||66 degrees, sunny|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Tom Hallion, First Base - Bruce Dreckman, Second Base - Phil Cuzzi, Third Base - Tim Mcclelland|