7:05 PM ET, September 25, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: After being sidelined for 24 games by a strained muscle in his left side, Manny Ramirez singled and scored Boston's first run in the first inning and then walked to start a two-run fifth in a 7-3 victory over the Athletics.
• Hero: Pitching for the first time in nine days so manager Terry Francona could arrange his rotation for the playoffs, Curt Schilling allowed one run and left after six innings with a 3-1 lead. He struck out six and allowed six hits and no walks in his first win since Aug. 24.
• Figure this: Schilling's six strikeouts gave him 3,116 for his career, one behind Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, who is 13th in major-league history.
• Hunt for October: Tampa Bay's 10-inning 7-6 victory over the Yankees lowered Boston's magic number to three to win the AL East for the first time in 12 years.
• Quotable: "When I went out for the fourth and I saw the Yankees had gone up 5-0, it was kind of, 'Hey, no margin for error now.' I thought we did some good things after that." -- Schilling
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 7, Athletics 3
The magic number is derived by adding one to the number of remaining games and subtracting the number of games ahead in the loss column from the second-place team. Here's where the leaders stand:
|x-clinched playoff spot|
Gaudin is 3-10 with a 6.80 ERA since the All-Star break. He was 8-3 with a 2.88 ERA before it. ... In his last 50 2/3 innings, Schilling has issued four walks. ... Oakland reliever Ruddy Lugo faced his brother, Julio, for the first time and walked him. "You've got to forget it's your brother. You want to get a hit," Julio said. "It's very special." ... Schilling's six strikeouts gave him 3,116 for his career, one behind Bob Gibson of the St. Louis Cardinals, who is 13th in major-league history.
Regular Season Series
|Series tied 4-4 (as of Tue 9/25)|
|Tue 5/1||OAK 5, @BOS 4||Recap|
|Wed 5/2||@BOS 6, OAK 4||Recap|
|Mon 6/4||@OAK 5, BOS 4||Recap|
|Tue 6/5||@OAK 2, BOS 0||Recap|
|Wed 6/6||@OAK 3, BOS 2||Recap|
|Thu 6/7||BOS 1, @OAK 0||Recap|
|» Tue 9/25||@BOS 7, OAK 3||Box Score|
|Wed 9/26||@BOS 11, OAK 6||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Athletics | Red Sox|
|1st||D Barton homered to right.||1||0|
|1st||M Lowell doubled to deep left, M Ramirez scored, D Ortiz to third.||1||1|
|5th||J Drew walked, B Moss scored, D Ortiz to third, M Lowell to second.||1||2|
|5th||J Ellsbury hit sacrifice fly to right, D Ortiz scored, M Lowell to third.||1||3|
|7th||J Ellsbury singled to left, J Drew scored, J Varitek to second.||1||4|
|8th||B Kielty hit sacrifice fly to left, J Lugo scored.||1||5|
|8th||D Ortiz homered to right, D Pedroia scored.||1||7|
|9th||J Hannahan doubled to deep left, D Johnson scored, M Scutaro to third.||2||7|
|9th||K Suzuki hit sacrifice fly to right, M Scutaro scored.||3||7|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,708 (99% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||82 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Jerry Meals, First Base - Rob Drake, Second Base - Larry Poncino, Third Base - Gary Darling|