5:00 PM ET, September 26, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: Mike Lowell drove in five runs as the Red Sox routed the A's to cut their magic number to clinch the AL East to two.
• Hero: Lowell has a team-leading 116 RBIs, surprisingly two more than David Ortiz.
• Unsung hero: In his second game back in the lineup after a long absence, Manny Ramirez went 3-for-3 with an RBI and two runs.
• Hunt for October: The Red Sox's lead in the East is three games after the Yankees clinched the wild card with a win over the Devil Rays.
• Quotable: "We were happy being in the playoffs with the wild card. But we played good all year. We wanted to see if we could win the division. It hasn't been done in a while." -- Ortiz on the Red Sox trying to win the East for the first time in 12 years
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 11, Athletics 6
The magic number is derived by adding one to the number of remaining games and subtracting the number of games ahead in the loss column from the second-place team. Here's where the leaders stand:
|x-clinched playoff spot|
Piazza's homer was his 427th and moved him into 39th place in major league history ahead of Billy Williams of the Chicago Cubs. ... Lester is 6-0 in his last 14 starts starting on Aug. 13, 2006, but his ERA in that span is 5.54. ... Jack Cust had three strikeouts and leads the AL with 160 in 385 at-bats. ... Ellsbury singled in the fifth and has hit safely in 21 of his 22 games since being recalled on Sept. 1 from Triple-A Pawtucket. He has reached base in 26 straight games. ... Timlin tied Roberto Hernandez for 10th on the all-time list with 1,010 appearances.
Regular Season Series
|Series tied 4-4 (as of Wed 9/26)|
|Tue 5/1||OAK 5, @BOS 4||Recap|
|Wed 5/2||@BOS 6, OAK 4||Recap|
|Mon 6/4||@OAK 5, BOS 4||Recap|
|Tue 6/5||@OAK 2, BOS 0||Recap|
|Wed 6/6||@OAK 3, BOS 2||Recap|
|Thu 6/7||BOS 1, @OAK 0||Recap|
|Tue 9/25||@BOS 7, OAK 3||Recap|
|» Wed 9/26||@BOS 11, OAK 6||Box Score|
|Complete Schedule: Athletics | Red Sox|
|3rd||N Swisher hit sacrifice fly to center, D Murphy scored.||1||0|
|3rd||M Lowell singled to right, D Pedroia and M Ramirez scored, D Ortiz to third.||1||2|
|3rd||J Drew hit sacrifice fly to left, D Ortiz scored.||1||3|
|4th||D Murphy homered to left, K Suzuki and J Hannahan scored.||4||3|
|4th||M Ramirez singled to center, D Pedroia scored.||4||4|
|4th||M Lowell singled to shallow right, M Ramirez scored, D Ortiz to second.||4||5|
|5th||M Piazza homered to left.||5||5|
|6th||D Pedroia homered to left.||5||6|
|6th||M Lowell singled to left, B Moss and D Ortiz scored.||5||8|
|6th||J Ellsbury grounded out to pitcher, M Lowell scored, J Drew to third, K Youkilis to second.||5||9|
|7th||B Moss singled to center, D Pedroia scored.||5||10|
|7th||E Hinske struck out swinging, B Moss scored, R Clayton to third, J Drew to second on wild pitch by A Brown.||5||11|
|9th||J Hannahan hit sacrifice fly to left, M Ellis scored.||6||11|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,570 (98.6% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||93 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Rob Drake, First Base - Larry Poncino, Second Base - Gary Darling, Third Base - Jerry Meals|