3:00 PM ET, October 7, 2007
Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, California
• Summary: The Red Sox joined the Diamondbacks and Rockies in sweeping a first-round series, sending the AL West champion Angels packing after three games. Boston held Los Angeles to four runs in the series.
• Hero: In his first postseason game since the "bloody sock" World Series game in 2004, Curt Schilling struck out four and allowed six hits in seven innings to raise his postseason record to 9-2 while lowering his ERA to 1.93.
• Finishing touch: With back-to-back homers from David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez serving as the offensive support for the Red Sox, Boston broke open the game in the eighth by scoring seven runs.
• Figure this: The Angels have lost nine straight playoff games to the Red Sox and seven straight postseason games overall.
• Next episode: The Red Sox open the ALCS at Fenway Park on Friday night against either the Indians or Yankees.
• Quotable: "This series wasn't lost on injuries, it's part of any season, guys are going to get hurt. ...Those guys went out there and beat us, and that's the bottom line." -- Angels manager Mike Scioscia
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 9, Angels 1
The Red Sox took a 2-0 lead in five previous postseason series, and won Game 3 each time. They won the first two games of the 1986 World Series over the New York Mets, but wound up losing in seven games. ... Angels 1B Casey Kotchman didn't play because of what Scioscia called a non-baseball-related medical condition. "That's all we can say," team spokesman Larry Babcock said. ... Ortiz drew two walks Sunday, giving him seven in the series.
|4th||D Ortiz homered to right.||1||0|
|4th||M Ramirez homered to center.||2||0|
|8th||D Pedroia doubled to deep left, J Lugo scored, D Pedroia to third advancing on throw.||3||0|
|8th||K Youkilis hit sacrifice fly to center, D Pedroia scored.||4||0|
|8th||M Lowell doubled to left, D Ortiz scored, J Ellsbury to third.||5||0|
|8th||J Drew grounded into fielder's choice to first, J Ellsbury scored, M Lowell to third.||6||0|
|8th||J Varitek doubled to center, M Lowell scored, J Drew to third.||7||0|
|8th||C Crisp singled to center, J Drew and J Varitek scored.||9||0|
|9th||H Kendrick hit sacrifice fly to right, M Izturis scored.||9||1|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, CA|
|Attendance||45,262 (99.5% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||82 degrees, sunny|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Brian Runge, First Base - Ted Barrett, Second Base - Tim Tschida, Third Base - C.B. Bucknor|