7:37 PM ET, October 8, 2007
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
• Summary: The Indians eliminated the Yankees with a 6-4 win in Game 4, moving on to their first ALCS since 1998. Cleveland opens at Boston on Friday.
• Quotable: "This team hasn't had a championship in Cleveland for a long time. This is just an unbelievable feeling to be able just to start this process again." -- Indians vet Kenny Lofton
• Hero: Leadoff hitter Grady Sizemore homered on just the third pitch of the game, putting Cleveland ahead for good.
• A bad start: Chien-Ming Wang was chased in the second after giving up four runs.
• Unsung hero: Cleveland starter Paul Byrd allowed just two runs in five-plus innings.
• Will Joe go? All attention now turns to Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who said over the weekend that he didn't think he'd keep Joe Torre as manager if New York made another early exit.
-- ESPN.com news services
Indians 6, Yankees 4
If Joe Torre has managed his last game for the Yankees, he leaves a mixed legacy. He won it all in four of his first five years. His teams in the last seven seasons averaged more wins in the regular season but flamed out in the playoffs -- including three straight first-round losses.
The Yankees removed the injured Clemens from their active roster before the game and replaced him with LHP Ron Villone. ... The first two innings took 1 hour, 14 minutes.
|1st||G Sizemore homered to center.||1||0|
|1st||J Peralta singled to center, T Hafner scored.||2||0|
|2nd||G Sizemore grounded into double play, second to shortstop to first, F Gutierrez scored, K Shoppach out at second, C Blake to third.||3||0|
|2nd||A Cabrera singled to center, C Blake scored.||4||0|
|2nd||D Jeter reached on infield single to shortstop, H Matsui scored, R Cano to third, D Mientkiewicz to second.||4||1|
|4th||V Martinez singled to left, K Shoppach and G Sizemore scored, T Hafner to second.||6||1|
|6th||R Cano homered to right.||6||2|
|7th||A Rodriguez homered to center.||6||3|
|9th||B Abreu homered to right.||6||4|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY|
|Attendance||56,315 (114.5% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||87 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Fieldin Culbreth, First Base - Gerry Davis, Second Base - Jim Wolf, Third Base - Bruce Froemming|