8:37 PM ET, October 11, 2007
Chase Field, Phoenix, Arizona
• Summary: Jeff Francis led the way as the Rockies captured Game 1 over the Diamondbacks 5-1 in Arizona.
• Still scorching: The red-hot Rockies are 18-1 in their last 19 games.
• Good start, good results: With his performance on Thursday, Francis has made 19 starts of six-plus innings and two or fewer runs this season, and the Rockies have won 16 of them. In fact, in his career, Colorado is 41-4 when Francis gives the team that kind of start.
• Not so hot: Brandon Webb allowed four runs on seven hits in his six innings. The Diamondbacks are 13-39 all-time when Webb allows four or more runs, and 3-11 this season. He has only won one game this season in which he allowed four-plus runs (Sept. 12 at Giants).
• Quotable: "It was an emotional, high-energy day for all of us. We weren't in the flow of it like we had been. So you know today's win, I think, is even more special because of that."
-- ESPN.com news services
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 1
|Champions of Chase|
With Thursday's Game 1 win, Jeff Francis is now 5-0 at Arizona's Chase Field, and one of five pitchers with an undefeated record at the ballpark with a minimum of four decisions.
The teams met for the 19th time this season. Colorado has won 11 of them. ... It's the first time two NL West teams met in the NLCS. ... Helton dropped his bat and started toward first, thinking he had been hit by a pitch with two outs in the fifth. But McClelland, the plate umpire, called him back. Helton grounded out to first.
|1st||E Byrnes doubled to deep left, S Drew scored.||0||1|
|2nd||T Tulowitzki grounded into double play, shortstop to second to first, T Helton scored, B Hawpe out at second, G Atkins to third.||1||1|
|3rd||K Matsui singled to left, W Taveras scored.||2||1|
|3rd||B Hawpe singled to right, K Matsui and M Holliday scored, G Atkins to second.||4||1|
|7th||K Matsui safe at first on error by first baseman C Jackson, Y Torrealba scored.||5||1|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Chase Field, Phoenix, AZ|
|Attendance||48,142 (99% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||93 degrees, clear|
|Wind||10 mph, In from CF|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Tim Mcclelland, First Base - Mark Wegner, Second Base - Larry Vanover, Third Base - Tom Hallion|