2:05 PM ET, June 28, 2009
U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago, Illinois
Danks' gem helps ChiSox take Crosstown Classic finale from Zambrano, Cubs
CHICAGO -- The squeeze was on as Chris Getz made a dash from third and headed for the plate.When Carlos Zambrano threw outside and wild, Getz got a steal of home Sunday and the White Sox were on their way to a whacky 6-0 victory over the Cubs.
More from ESPNChicago.com
Can't get enough of the Cubs-Sox series? ESPNChicago.com has it blanketed.
• Jon Greenberg: No white flag for White Sox
• Wayne Drehs: Cubs can't spin their way out of issues
• Melissa Isaacson: Bradley bringing out Lou's sour side
• Gene Wojciechowski: Lou's double standards hurting Cubs
• Jerry Bonkowski: Podsednik's bat as hot as his nickname
• Nick Friedell: Four plays that got the game to Beckham
• Bruce Levine: Bradley speaks to media
• Wayne Drehs: Piniella puts his foot down
• Jon Greenberg: Cubs need hot Soto
• Nick Friedell: Poor pitch leaves a bad taste
Why John Danks won:
• White Sox starter relied heavily on changeup, throwing 32, accounting for 29.1 percent of total pitches (a noticeable increase from his tendency to throw changeups 17.8 percent of the time entering Sunday).
• Changeup vs. right-handed batters (2-10 AB); season-high eight swinging strikes overall with changeup.
• Longest outing this season without allowing a run (previous high was six innings in his season debut).
-- ESPN Stats and Information
• John Danks banked the win, improving to just 2-4 at home this season.
• Carlos Zambrano lost for only the first time since May 22 (was 1-0 in five starts since).
• The White Sox have now won six of their last eight games while the Cubs have lost six of their last seven.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
The White Sox lead the interleague series that began in 1997 by 36-35. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Regular Season Series
|3rd||A Ramirez homered to left center, S Podsednik scored.||0||2|
|4th||D Wise reached on infield single to second, A Pierzynski scored, G Beckham to second.||0||3|
|6th||C Getz stole home.||0||4|
|6th||J Dye popped out to shortstop, D Wise scored.||0||5|
|8th||J Dye homered to center.||0||6|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago, IL|
|Attendance||39,745 (97.9% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||75 degrees, sunny|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Brian Runge, First Base - Derryl Cousins, Second Base - Bill Miller, Third Base - Angel Campos|