2:20 PM ET, September 3, 2009
Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois
CHICAGO -- Dewayne Wise just added another play to his collection of important defensive gems.Wise cut down Jake Fox at the plate to keep the tying run from scoring in the seventh and rookie Carlos Torres pitched seven crisp innings to lead the White Sox to a 5-0 win over the Cubs in a meeting of city rivals whose seasons have gone awry.
• The White Sox finished 4-2 against the Cubs this season, outscoring them 32-19.
• Carlos Torres picked up his first win and threw seven scoreless innings in his third career start after allowing more than three earned runs in each of his first two.
• The White Sox won for the third time in 12 games.
• The Cubs finished 5-5 on a 10-game homestand, all against teams under .500. They tallied more strikeouts than hits for the second straight game.
• Ozzie Guillen picked up his 499th win as a manager.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Cubs HR and RBI leader Lee was scratched, missing the game to be with his wife, who gave birth to their second child early Thursday morning. ... The White Sox went 4-2 against the Cubs this season and lead the overall series that began in 1997, 37-35.
Regular Season Series
|2nd||A Ramirez singled to left, C Getz scored.||1||0|
|8th||A Pierzynski safe at third on error by left fielder A Soriano, G Beckham scored.||2||0|
|8th||P Konerko singled to left, A Pierzynski scored.||3||0|
|9th||A Pierzynski reached on infield single to first, S Podsednik scored, G Beckham to second.||4||0|
|9th||C Quentin reached on infield single to shortstop, G Beckham scored, M Kotsay to second.||5||0|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL|
|Attendance||40,741 (99.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||68 degrees, sunny|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Eric Cooper, First Base - Mike Reilly, Second Base - Chuck Meriwether, Third Base - Laz Diaz|