7:05 PM ET, April 5, 2007
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
• Summary: Yankee errors and miscues allowed for the opportunistic Devil Rays to score twice on wild pitches and ultimately steal the game on a cold, snow-filled day in the Bronx.
• Hero: Tampa Bay rookie Elijah Dukes hammered a go-ahead solo homerun in the sixth inning off Scott proctor, his second in as many games.
• Unsung Hero: The weather made things uncomfortable for both teams, but with snow flurries circling around a bitter cold Yankee Stadium it was the Devil Rays' aggresiveness on the base-paths that forced the lethargic and frost-bitten Yankees' error-filled hand on Thursday.
• Figure This: The Devil Rays capitalized on three errors by the Yankees, scoring a pair of unearned runs in their 7-6 victory. The Yankees also made three errors on Monday. It's the first time since 1926 that they have committed three or more errors in each of their first two games of a season.
• Elias Says: Dukes became the first player in major league history to face the Yankees in each of his first two games and to hit home runs in both games.
-- ESPN.com news services
Devil Rays 7, Yankees 6
The last time the Yankees made at least three errors in each of their first two games was 1926, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. ... Jeter tied Don Mattingly for sixth on the club's career list with 2,153 hits. ... Yankees CF Johnny Damon sat out with a mild strain in his right calf. ... The Devil Rays went 3-33 on the road after July 1 last season and finished 20-61 away from home. They were 41-40 at home. ... Dukes became the first Devil Rays player to homer in his first two major league games.
Regular Season Series
|New York leads 10-8 (as of Thu 4/5)|
|Mon 4/2||@NYY 9, TB 5||Recap|
|» Thu 4/5||TB 7, @NYY 6||Box Score|
|Mon 4/23||@TB 10, NYY 8||Recap|
|Tue 4/24||@TB 6, NYY 4||Recap|
|Thu 7/12||NYY 7, @TB 3||Recap|
|Fri 7/13||@TB 6, NYY 4||Recap|
|Sat 7/14||NYY 6, @TB 4||Recap|
|Sun 7/15||NYY 7, @TB 6||Recap|
|Fri 7/20||TB 14, @NYY 4||Recap|
|Sat 7/21||@NYY 7, TB 3||Recap|
|Sat 7/21||@NYY 17, TB 5||Recap|
|Sun 7/22||@NYY 21, TB 4||Recap|
|Fri 8/31||TB 9, @NYY 1||Recap|
|Sat 9/1||@NYY 9, TB 6||Recap|
|Sun 9/2||TB 8, @NYY 2||Recap|
|Tue 9/25||@TB 7, NYY 6||Recap|
|Wed 9/26||NYY 12, @TB 4||Recap|
|Thu 9/27||NYY 3, @TB 1||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Devil Rays | Yankees|
|1st||A Rodriguez doubled to deep right, R Cano scored.||0||1|
|TB||2nd||J Paul singled to left, A Iwamura scored, B Upton to second.||1||1|
|TB||3rd||D Young singled to center, B Zobrist scored, T Wigginton to second.||2||1|
|4th||D Mientkiewicz singled to center, H Matsui scored, J Posada to second.||2||2|
|4th||R Cano singled to center, J Posada scored, D Mientkiewicz to third.||2||3|
|4th||D Jeter grounded into fielder's choice to third, D Mientkiewicz scored, R Cano out at second.||2||4|
|TB||5th||T Wigginton hit sacrifice fly to right, C Crawford scored, B Zobrist to third.||3||4|
|TB||5th||B Zobrist scored on S Proctor's wild pitch.||4||4|
|TB||6th||E Dukes homered to left.||5||4|
|TB||6th||C Crawford singled to center, A Iwamura scored, J Paul to third.||6||4|
|7th||H Matsui singled to right, D Jeter and B Abreu scored, J Giambi to second.||6||6|
|TB||8th||A Iwamura scored, B Upton to second on wild pitch by L Vizcaino.||7||6|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY|
|Attendance||52,096 (105.9% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||38 degrees, overcast|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Larry Poncino, First Base - Jerry Meals, Second Base - Bruce Dreckman, Third Base - Gary Darling|