7:05 PM ET, June 15, 2007
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
• Summary: Jose Reyes had three hits, including a solo home run, and Oliver Perez hurled a five-hitter over eight innings to lead the Mets to a 2-0 win over the Yankees that broke the Bombers' nine-game winning streak.
• Hero: Reyes had an RBI single to center in the third inning that delivered the Mets' first run and added a solo homer in the fifth off Roger Clemens (1-1). Reyes also swiped three bases in as many attempts against Jorge Posada.
• Figure this: Julio Franco (48) and Clemens (44) became the oldest batter-pitcher matchup in the major leagues since Nick Altrock (57) of the Washington Senators hit a comebacker off the Philadelphia Athletics' Rube Walberg (37) in the 11th inning on Oct. 1, 1933, according to Elias.
• Did you see that?: In the bottom of the fourth, Mets left fielder Carlos Gomez made a brilliant catch to rob a three-run homer from Miguel Cairo. Gomez ran to the wall, jumped and grabbed the ball above the wall near the outstretched arms of a fan. He then threw to second, easily doubling up Hideki Matsui.
• Quotable: "I'm wondering where that fan is that leans over and catches balls. We need one of them young fans again."
Mets 2, Yankees 0
Julio Franco (48) was 0-for-3 against Clemens. They became the oldest batter-pitcher matchup in the major leagues since Nick Altrock (57) of the Washington Senators hit a comebacker off the Philadelphia Athletics' Rube Walberg (37) in the 11th inning on Oct. 1, 1933, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Clemens and Franco totaled 93 years, 246 days, while Altrock and Walberg added to 94 years, 80 days. ... Carlos Delgado was 0-for-4 with four strikeouts and is in a 4-for-28 slide. ... Franco and Delgado took called third strikes ending the fourth and fifth innings and argued with plate umpire Mark Wegner. ... The Mets moved Carlos Beltran to No. 2 in the batting order for the second time this season. ... The Mets have scored first in seven straight games.
Regular Season Series
|3rd||J Reyes singled to center, C Gomez scored.||1||0|
|5th||J Reyes homered to right.||2||0|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY|
|Attendance||55,159 (109.7% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||69 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Mark Wegner, First Base - Bruce Froemming, Second Base - Mike Winters, Third Base - James Hoye|