7:05 PM ET, June 18, 2007
Turner Field, Atlanta, Georgia
• Summary: Red Sox starter Curt Schilling was rocked for six runs and 10 hits over four-plus innings in a 9-4 loss to the Braves.
• Figure this: Schilling failed to record a K for the first time since July 1, 1993. That snaps Schilling's streak of 378 consecutive starts with a strikeout, which was the longest since Nolan Ryan had a strikeout in 382 consecutive starts from 1979-92.
• Quotable: "It's embarrassing. I never gave us a chance. You want to walk around the room and apologize to everybody. Your manager, your teammates, fans. There's no excuse for a game like that." -- Schilling
• Hero: Brian McCann led the Atlanta bats with a homer and a season-high four RBIs.
• Back in the saddle: Chipper Jones tested his wrists at third for the first time since coming off the DL on June 13.
-- ESPN.com news services
Braves 9, Red Sox 4
Schilling had made 348 starts since his last one without a strikeout. ... McCann's four RBIs were one off his career high. ... The Braves used a radical infield shift when Ortiz pinch-hit in the eighth, with 3B Chipper Jones lining up in the shortstop position and everyone else to the right of the second-base bag. In fact, 2B Kelly Johnson was stationed in short right field. As it was, Ortiz popped out near the left-field line, with Jones making a long run for the catch. ... Boston dropped to 8-5 in interleague play this season. The Braves improved to 4-6. ... It rained hard in the top of the sixth, but tapered off by the bottom half without the game being interrupted.
Regular Season Series
|2nd||C Crisp homered to left.||1||0|
|3rd||K Johnson hit sacrifice fly to center, S Thorman scored.||1||1|
|4th||B McCann doubled to left center, E Renteria scored, C Jones to third.||1||2|
|4th||C James singled to left, C Jones scored, B McCann to third, S Thorman to second.||1||3|
|5th||B McCann homered to right center, E Renteria and C Jones scored.||1||6|
|6th||C Crisp homered to left.||2||6|
|6th||E Renteria singled to right, C Woodward scored, W Harris to third.||2||7|
|7th||J Drew homered to right.||3||7|
|7th||S Thorman homered to right, J Francoeur scored.||3||9|
|9th||D Pedroia scored, W Pena to second on wild pitch by M McBride.||4||9|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Turner Field, Atlanta, GA|
|Attendance||47,562 (96.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||91 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Hunter Wendelstedt, First Base - Randy Marsh, Second Base - Bob Davidson, Third Base - Sam Holbrook|