7:10 PM ET, July 3, 2007
Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati, Ohio
• Summary: In a long-ball matchup for the ages featuring Barry Bonds, who cranked his 751st career homer, and Ken Griffey Jr., who still has 585, Brandon Phillips stole the show in the three-game series opener.
• Turning point: Phillips nailed a six-inning grand slam that broke a 3-3 tie and put the Reds ahead for good. Phillips now has 38 career home runs.
• Unsung hero: Pete Mackanin walked away with a victory in his debut as Cincinnati's interim manager.
• Figure this: Entering the game, Griffey and Bonds had a combined 1,335 career homers. It was the first time since Aug. 1, 1976 that two players with as many homers played in the same game. Cleveland's Frank Robinson (586) and Milwaukee's Hank Aaron (755) played in that one and combined for 1,341 home runs.
• Quotable: "You can't be scared to go after guys like that, especially when there's nobody on or it's early in the game. That's what I tried to do with the third [pitch], and he was right on it." -- Aaron Harang on pitching to Bonds
-- ESPN.com news services
Reds 7, Giants 3
The top combined-homer game came on July 17, 1973, when Willie Mays -- Bonds' godfather -- played against Aaron, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. They had a combined 1,356 homers at the time. ... The Giants activated INF Rich Aurilia off the DL, placed RHP Vinnie Chulk on the bereavement list and called up LHP Pat Misch from Triple-A Fresno. ... Omar Vizquel played in his 2,500th game at shortstop. Only two others have played that many in the majors: Luis Aparicio (2,583) and Ozzie Smith (2,511). ... Zito gave up two hits, three runs and six walks in five innings, throwing 113 pitches. He hasn't won since June 4. ... Cincinnati's Adam Dunn reached the 100-strikeout mark.
Regular Season Series
|1st||B Bonds homered to right center, R Durham scored.||2||0|
|4th||E Encarnacion walked, B Phillips scored, K Griffey Jr to third, A Dunn to second.||2||1|
|4th||A Gonzalez walked, K Griffey Jr scored, A Dunn to third, E Encarnacion to second.||2||2|
|5th||B Molina grounded into fielder's choice to second, R Durham scored, R Klesko out at second, B Bonds to third.||3||2|
|5th||J Conine doubled to left, B Phillips scored, K Griffey Jr to third.||3||3|
|6th||B Phillips homered to center, A Gonzalez, S Hatteberg and R Freel scored.||3||7|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati, OH|
|Attendance||37,299 (88.1% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||87 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Larry Poncino, First Base - Bruce Dreckman, Second Base - Gary Darling, Third Base - Jerry Meals|