6:05 PM ET, July 15, 2007
Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
• Summary: Albert Pujols hit two of the Cardinals six home runs as the Phillies had their three-game win streak snapped to send the team to its 10,000th franchise loss. The Phillies are now the losingest team in sports and sport an all-time record of 8,810-10,000.
• Cards' hot bats: The Cardinals hit at least one home run in the fifth, seventh and eighth innings. St. Louis hit two homers in the fifth inning, three in the seventh inning and one more in the eighth.
• A Sunday driver: Half of Pujols' 20 home runs this season have been hit in Sunday games.
• Who's next?: Now that the Phillies have broken the 10,000-loss mark, the Braves are on the clock to hit 10K next. Atlanta has 9,681 defeats collected at three different cities (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta) in the franchise's lifespan.
• Quotable: "It doesn't matter one way or the other to all the guys in here. The guys in here weren't responsible for 10,000 losses, so what does it really matter to us?" -- Philles center fielder Aaron Rowand
• Rob Neyer: If one wants to indict the Phillies for general incompetence, the No. 1 charge would be lack of championships. Blog
-- ESPN.com news services
Cardinals 10, Phillies 2
While the Phillies are the first franchise to lose 10,000 games, they can take solace in the fact they do not own MLB's worst win percentage. That dubious distinction falls to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, whose winning percentage is under .400 albeit in just 10 seasons.
Philadelphia activated RHP Tom Gordon from the 60-day disabled list and optioned RHP Brian Sanches to Triple-A Ottawa. ... All four of Pujols' two-homer games this year have come on a Sunday.
Regular Season Series
|Philadelphia leads 6-3 (as of Sun 7/15)|
|Fri 6/22||PHI 6, @STL 0||Recap|
|Sat 6/23||@STL 8, PHI 3||Recap|
|Sun 6/24||PHI 5, @STL 1||Recap|
|Fri 7/13||@PHI 13, STL 3||Recap|
|Sat 7/14||@PHI 10, STL 4||Recap|
|» Sun 7/15||STL 10, @PHI 2||Box Score|
|Mon 9/17||PHI 13, @STL 11||Recap|
|Tue 9/18||PHI 7, @STL 4||Recap|
|Wed 9/19||@STL 2, PHI 1||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Cardinals | Phillies|
|2nd||A Kennedy doubled to deep left center, S Rolen scored.||1||0|
|2nd||A Wainwright singled to center, A Kennedy scored.||2||0|
|3rd||S Rolen grounded out to first, S Schumaker scored, C Duncan to third.||3||0|
|5th||A Pujols homered to center, S Schumaker scored.||5||0|
|5th||C Duncan homered to center.||6||0|
|7th||A Pujols homered to left.||7||0|
|7th||J Encarnacion homered to left.||8||0|
|7th||A Kennedy homered to right.||9||0|
|8th||R Ludwick homered to center.||10||0|
|9th||M Bourn homered to right.||10||1|
|9th||C Utley doubled to deep center, C Coste scored.||10||2|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, PA|
|Attendance||44,872 (102.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||92 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Jim Wolf, First Base - Rob Drake, Second Base - Tim Tschida, Third Base - Jim Joyce|