5:05 PM ET, August 13, 2007
PNC Park, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
• Summary: After getting swept by the Pirates in San Francisco, the Giants picked up where they left off, losing for a fourth straight time to Pittsburgh in the opener of a twilight doubleheader.
• Respect away from the Bay: Barry Bonds received a brief standing ovation in the bottom of the first and the Pirates played a tribute video after the game. Bonds began his career with the Pirates, playing the first seven seasons of his major league career in Pittsburgh.
• Hero: Paul Maholm, who went the distance, held the Giants to three hits with four K's. With the win, Maholm avoided becoming the majors' leader in losses.
• Figure this: The game lasted only 1 hour, 51 minutes.
• Quotable: "My stuff was probably as good as it's been in the big leagues. I could throw just about any pitch I wanted for a strike." -- Maholm
-- ESPN.com news services
Pirates 3, Giants 1
Pirates RF Ryan Doumit was lifted because of a sprained left wrist in the sixth. He was replaced by Castillo, who played RF for the first time in his career and was immediately called on to catch two fly balls in the seventh. ... Maholm's only other complete game this season was an April 24 shutout against Houston. ... The game was four minutes longer than the shortest game of the season. The Seattle Mariners beat the Athletics in Oakland 2-0 on April 25 in 1 hour, 47 minutes, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. ... After the game, Pirates SS Jack Wilson was credited with an infield single in the fourth. SS Kevin Frandsen was originally given an error.
Regular Season Series
|Pittsburgh leads 4-2 (as of Mon 8/13)|
|Fri 4/13||SF 8, @PIT 5||Recap|
|Fri 8/10||PIT 8, @SF 7||Recap|
|Sat 8/11||PIT 13, @SF 3||Recap|
|Sun 8/12||PIT 5, @SF 0||Recap|
|» Mon 8/13||@PIT 3, SF 1||Box Score|
|Mon 8/13||SF 10, @PIT 3||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Giants | Pirates|
|1st||J Castillo doubled to right, J Bautista and F Sanchez scored, A LaRoche to third.||0||2|
|2nd||N McLouth doubled to right, P Maholm scored.||0||3|
|3rd||R Davis doubled to deep right center, D Ortmeier scored.||1||3|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||PNC Park, Pittsburgh, PA|
|Weather||82 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Mike Everitt, First Base - Chad Fairchild, Second Base - Brian Gorman, Third Base - Paul Nauert|