1:05 PM ET, September 23, 2007
Progressive Field, Cleveland, Ohio
• Summary: Jake Westbrook struck out a career-high nine and Grady Sizemore had four hits, helping the Indians clinch their first AL Central title since 2001.
• Playoff bound: With the win, the Indians became the second team in the majors to clinch a playoff berth. The Red Sox were first to do so.
• Hero: Westbrook (6-9) had a career day, striking out nine and allowing just four hits in seven innings.
• Appreciated: After failing to clinch in front of a sellout crowd on Saturday, the Indians made sure they disappoint the 40,250 in attendance for Fan Appreciation Day at Jacobs Field on Sunday.
• Quotable: "We are a team -- in the truest sense of the word. In how they go about their business and how they win and how they care about each other, and that's a credit to everybody in that locker room." -- Indians manager Eric Wedge
-- ESPN.com news services
Indians 6, Athletics 2
The magic number is derived by adding one to the number of remaining games and subtracting the number of games ahead in the loss column from the second-place team. Here's where the leaders stand:
|x-clinched playoff spot|
The Indians' seven division titles in 13 seasons since realignment in 1995 trail only the Atlanta Braves (11) and Yankees (10). ... It was the fourth time the Indians have clinched in their 155th game. They also did it in 1948, 1997 and 2001. ... A's 1B Daric Barton hit a two-run homer and has reached base safely in all 13 games since being recalled from Triple-A Sacramento on Sept. 10. ... Oakland, which will not finish with a winning record for the first time in nine seasons, has lost 18 of 28.
Regular Season Series
|Cleveland leads 6-4 (as of Sun 9/23)|
|Fri 5/11||@OAK 8, CLE 2||Recap|
|Sat 5/12||CLE 6, @OAK 3||Recap|
|Sun 5/13||@OAK 10, CLE 7||Recap|
|Mon 6/25||@CLE 5, OAK 2||Recap|
|Tue 6/26||@CLE 8, OAK 5||Recap|
|Wed 6/27||OAK 13, @CLE 7||Recap|
|Thu 6/28||@CLE 4, OAK 3||Recap|
|Fri 9/21||@CLE 4, OAK 3||Recap|
|Sat 9/22||OAK 9, @CLE 3||Recap|
|» Sun 9/23||@CLE 6, OAK 2||Box Score|
|Complete Schedule: Athletics | Indians|
|2nd||J Michaels grounded out to second, R Garko scored, J Peralta to third.||0||1|
|2nd||G Sizemore singled to shallow left, J Peralta scored, F Gutierrez to third.||0||2|
|4th||C Blake doubled to deep center, J Peralta and J Michaels scored.||0||4|
|4th||G Sizemore tripled to right, C Blake scored.||0||5|
|4th||A Cabrera singled to left, G Sizemore scored.||0||6|
|6th||D Barton homered to right, D Murphy scored.||2||6|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Progressive Field, Cleveland, OH|
|Attendance||40,250 (95.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||72 degrees, sunny|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Larry Vanover, First Base - James Hoye, Second Base - Tony Randazzo, Third Base - Greg Gibson|