Angle: 'Honor' to take BP with Pujols
JUPITER, Fla. -- In an unlikely cage match, one of baseball's best hitters took batting practice Tuesday with one of the biggest names in professional wrestling.
Cardinals star Albert Pujols and wrestler Kurt Angle took turns slugging balls at spring training. Angle visited camp as part of Team Eckstein, named after World Series MVP David Eckstein, a lifelong wrestling fan. The St. Louis shortstop played the role of manager for a professional wrestling match in Orlando earlier this month.
Angle was working Tuesday to promote a Total Nonstop Action Wrestling pay-per-view event that will be held in St. Louis on April 15.
Angle took Pujols' batting pointers to heart.
"By the time he retires, he'll be considered one of the best ever. It was an honor him telling me what to do in there. It would be like me getting him in the ring," Angle said. "I really admire these guys because of their work ethic and the way they go all year long."
"We have one of the big stars in the game here with us today. It's definitely a thrill," Eckstein said.
Eckstein's brother, Rick, threw batting practice for the pair.
Angle said he wants to get Eckstein in the ring in the offseason. Eckstein and Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said that's not likely.
"Those guys are big and very athletic. And it looks like it hurts, too," said the 5-foot-7, 165-pound Eckstein.
La Russa said he doesn't expect his shortstop to risk injury by entering a professional wrestling event.
"I think David is going to be [Angle's] towel man," La Russa said.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Reports: Nats sign ex-Jays closer Janssen
- Cubs fans flock to statue, remember Banks
- Marlins finalize deal with 'ultimate pro' Ichiro
- Orioles acquire OF Snider in deal with Pirates
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL