Jays pitcher Chacin arrested, charged with DUI
Chacin was stopped by Tampa police early Friday morning, according to a copy of the charge report posted on the Hillsborough County sheriff's Web site.
The 26-year-old Chacin was booked for a misdemeanor and released from jail on $500 bond.
Police reports showed Chacin registered a blood-alcohol content of .150 and .152 in two consecutive readings. The state limit is .08.
"It's a serious mistake and we all make mistakes," manager John Gibbons said. "The justice system gets your attention pretty good these days, and they should."
The left-hander went 9-4 last season with a 5.05 ERA, but missed more than two months with elbow problems. Chacin is 23-14 in 53 career outings.
"Obviously he has had something happen and he is entitled to due process and whatever happens we just have to abide by the law," general manager J.P. Ricciardi said. "He made a mistake and we want to work with him, not against him."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL
- The Highland Mint Toronto Blue Jays Game-Used-Dirt Coin Photo