Timlin won't pitch until after first road trip
Mike Timlin won't be the closer on Opening Day for the Red Sox.
Boston Red Sox
Manager Terry Francona said Tuesday that the 41-year-old right-hander will start the season on the disabled list, but Timlin is expected to be ready to pitch after Boston's first regular-season road trip, which ends April 8.
"I don't think he was stunned," Francona told reporters, according to The Boston Globe. "I don't think he was doing cartwheels, but I also think he understood when it was explained to him. That may not be to the date, but there's some common sense in there."
Timlin has been bothered by a strained oblique muscle.
However, one of the candidates for the closer's job impressed Francona on Tuesday.
Joel Pineiro got his first save in his effort to lock up the vacant closer's role.
"The ball is live, it's got some sink to it, got some tilt on his breaking ball," Francona said. "I'm encouraged."
"Those are still the guys we're strongly looking at," Boston pitching coach John Farrell told ESPN during Wednesday's Red Sox-Pirates telecast.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers trade Soria to Tigers for prospects
- Cespedes has 2 HRs, 5 RBIs but hurts thumb
- Colon perfect into 7th; Mets hold on vs. M's
- Pence's 3-RBI double sends Giants past Phils
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox Alternate Red Dustin Pedroia #15 Jersey