Edmonds takes big step to playing in opener
Edmonds hit second in the batting order, drawing a walk and grounding out in a 6-5 loss to Baltimore. He was replaced in the top of the fourth inning by Skip Schumaker.
An eight-time Gold Glove winner, Edmonds has spent the spring recovering from offseason shoulder and toe surgeries.
"It was an easy day," Edmonds said. "Didn't have to run too much, didn't take too many bad swings."
The Cardinals hope Edmonds will be ready for the April 1 opener at home against the New York Mets.
"We don't know what to expect," St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said. "You work out and you're under control. He may make one break today and his toe would be sore and that's the end of it. Who knows?"
La Russa also released the order of the Cardinals starting rotation. As expected, Chris Carpenter will be the Opening Night starter, and Kip Wells and Braden Looper will follow against the Mets. After Carpenter opens the series at Houston on April 6, Adam Wainwright and Anthony Reyes will take the mound.
The success of the Cardinals starters this spring has been a bonus for La Russa, who said he had considered downsizing the number of players in the team's rotation to four.
"Because of how well these guys have gone about everything we'll be pitching five guys," La Russa said.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Beltran, Yanks reach 3-year deal
- Ortiz: Yankees lost 'face of ballclub' in Cano
- Beard is back: Napoli, Red Sox agree to deal
- Sources: Mets, Granderson agree on $60M
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL