Marlins send Petit to D-Backs for Julio
Julio has 99 major league saves, including 16 last season, and is expected to become the closer in a young Marlins bullpen.
"We thought it was the right thing to do, given the composition of the bullpen, to bring in the experience, a guy who has closed, and push some other components back in the 'pen," Florida general manager Larry Beinfest said.
The 28-year-old Julio went 2-4 with a 4.23 ERA in 62 appearances with the Diamondbacks and New York Mets last year. The right-hander was Arizona's closer for part of the season, earning 15 saves in 19 chances.
Julio began his career with Baltimore in 2001 and saved 83 games for the Orioles from 2002-04.
"It's good for me, because this team is giving me the opportunity to be the closer," Julio said. "I'm so happy."
The 22-year-old Petit made his big league debut last year with Florida, going 1-1 with a 9.57 ERA in 15 games. The right-hander has been a starter throughout his minor league career.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL