New-look Giants looking to bond without Bonds
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The newest San Francisco Giant has an agenda straight out of an Outward Bound brochure. When Aaron Rowand isn't sacrificing his body diving for balls in the gap, he spends his free time organizing team functions meant to foster clubhouse chemistry.Team barbecues at Chez Rowand will have to wait until the regular season. As the post-Barry Bonds era gets under way in San Francisco, it's all about Cactus League bowling night in Scottsdale. Rowand arranged the Giants' first weekly trip to the lanes on Sunday, and the turnout was brisk. A group of 22 San Francisco players showed up and bonded over trash talk and 7-10 splits.
Everybody always wants to make Barry [Bonds] out as the villain, but he was very good with me. Of course, you're going to be intimidated by him just because of how good he is. But we're intimidated by Willie Mays when he walks in here, too. You're in awe. It's the same thing with Barry.
--Giants infielder Kevin Frandsen
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's San Francisco Giants Authentic Collection Dri-FIT Orange Legend Practice T-Shirt