Carlos Ruiz travels to Panama
The team did not disclose the nature of the family matter, but a source close to Ruiz told ESPNdeportes.com that the catcher's wife had a Cesarean section on Tuesday. Her doctors recommended the procedure because the baby was in an awkward position.
The baby boy, who weighed 9 pounds at birth, is the couple's first child, and Ruiz's second.
"The doctors talked about this possibility early in the process and decided to move the child's birth. Carlos traveled to be sure all is well with his wife," the source added.
The Phillies said that Ruiz is expected back in camp by this weekend.
Ruiz, 32, hit .302 with eight home runs and 53 RBIs and caught 29 percent of runners attempting to steal in 121 games last season.
Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Philadelphia Phillies George Kell #7 White Cooperstown Jersey