Chris Carpenter's status uncertain
Carpenter threw on the side Tuesday. It was his second session since he left his spring debut because of a strained hamstring.
Carpenter and the Cardinals say there's still no final word on whether he'll pitch Friday. Carpenter says there won't be a decision until Wednesday at the earliest.
The 2005 Cy Young Award winner has won at least 16 games in each of the past two seasons. His health takes on added importance after the Cardinals lost Adam Wainwright to season-ending ligament replacement surgery earlier this spring.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Chris Carpenter #29 Light Blue Cooperstown Jersey