Chris Carpenter's status uncertain
Carpenter threw on the side Tuesday. It was his second session since he left his spring debut because of a strained hamstring.
Carpenter and the Cardinals say there's still no final word on whether he'll pitch Friday. Carpenter says there won't be a decision until Wednesday at the earliest.
The 2005 Cy Young Award winner has won at least 16 games in each of the past two seasons. His health takes on added importance after the Cardinals lost Adam Wainwright to season-ending ligament replacement surgery earlier this spring.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's St. Louis Cardinals Tri-Blend Scoop Neck Red Long Sleeve Shirt