Wells may miss first round of WBC

Updated: February 22, 2006, 8:05 PM ET
Associated Press

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Toronto center fielder Vernon Wells probably will miss the first round of the World Baseball Classic because of a left leg injury.

Wells, who won his second straight Gold Glove last season, is among 30 players on the U.S. roster for the tournament, scheduled for March 3-20.

"He tweaked his quad a couple of days ago lifting," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said Wednesday. "He'll have to take it easy for a week, two weeks. He still has plenty of time to get ready."

As for the WBC, Gibbons said: "I'd rather him not play."

Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi thought Wells would not be available for the start of the tournament,

"Maybe he will be ready for the second round," Ricciardi said. "It will take him two weeks to rest."

Notes
RHP Justin Speier strained his right middle finger. "It's in the same area he had the problem last year," Gibbons said. "He only threw a few pitches and we shut him down."


Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press