Oswalt to face Japan in WBC semifinal
LOS ANGELES -- Roy Oswalt will start for the United States in its semifinal against Japan in the World Baseball Classic.
Manager Davey Johnson made the announcement Friday after the Americans worked out at Dodger Stadium. The U.S. plays its semifinal Sunday night, with the winner advancing to Monday's championship game.
Oswalt pitched four scoreless innings when the United States avoided elimination by beating the Netherlands 9-3 last Sunday.
Japan manager Tatsunori Hara declined Friday to announce his starter, although it will be Daisuke Matsuzaka's turn in the rotation Sunday.
South Korea and Venezuela will meet in Saturday's first semifinal.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Hamels: Arm 'really good' after pen session
- O's Wieters out several days with ankle sprain
- Braun signs first post-ban endorsement deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Houston Astros Navy Ice Jacket