Yao will 'definitely' miss All-Star Game to rehab leg
Houston Rockets center Yao Ming, recovering from a broken leg, said he will "definitely not" play in the All-Star Game but hopes to start on-court workouts during the Feb. 16-18 All-Star break, the Houston Chronicle reported.
Marc Stein explains the inner workings of how the league will go about replacing Yao in the West's All-Star lineup. Blog
"It's going pretty well so far," Yao said, according to the Chronicle. "Right now we're looking for some rehab to make the muscle stronger so when I'm back to play, I'm not hurting."
Yao has been out with a fractured tibia since Dec. 23, but as of Jan. 4, still led all NBA players with 1,775,413 votes for the All-Star Game in Las Vegas. Starters for the All-Star Game are expected to be announced Thursday.
Yao said missing All-Star Weekend is "good timing" because he'll be able to spend time working out without missing any more games, the newspaper reported.
"Actually, it's pretty good to me to stay home, do my work and get back to the court," Yao said, according to the Chronicle.
NBA ALL-STAR GAME
• Hollinger scorecard
• NBA All-Star Game Index
ON THE COURT
• Kobe leads West All-Star romp
• Kobe takes second MVP trophy
• Abbott: That's entertainment?
• Green, Kapono, Wade win
• Abbott: Howard wows crowd
• Sheridan: Barkley beats Bavetta
• Williams: D-League stars
• Sophs teach rooks record lesson
• Hollinger: Live from the mix zone
• Sheridan: Weekend wrap up
• Simmons: Off to Vegas
• Hollinger: Media Day highlights
• Sheridan: No new rules
• Sheridan: Bet on Bavetta
• Sheridan: Stern's gamble?
• Stein: Leather sticks around
• Stein: Raise Rim? No dunk you
• All-Star Saturday Night • Sophomores run over rookies
• Wheelchair All-Star Game
• Reggie Bush: Ankle is ok • Celebs show their skills
• Join ESPN Magazine in Vegas
• Hall of Fame names finalists
• Dwight Howard
• LeBron James
• Steve Nash
• Dwyane Wade
• Chris Bosh
• T-Mac and Yao
• Dirk Nowitzki
• Tony Parker
• Kevin Garnett
• Carmelo Anthony
• Richard Hamilton
• Gilbert Arenas
• Jason Kidd