Roy, Morrison, Bargnani named to All-Star Rookie team
NEW YORK -- No. 1 draft pick Andrea Bargnani of Toronto will lead the rookie team trying to snap a four-game losing streak against the sophomores in the Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam at All-Star weekend.
Fellow Rookie of the Year candidates Brandon Roy and Adam Morrison were also on the team of first-year players announced Wednesday.
Roy was leading all rookies with 14.5 points per game going into Wednesday night's game against the Denver Nuggets. He was also averaging 4.3 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 32.5 minutes.
Roy is the first Blazer to participate in All-Star weekend since 2001, when Rasheed Wallace was an All-Star reserve.
The rookie, last season's Pac-10 player of the year while finishing his senior season at Washington, was acquired in a draft-day trade. The Minnesota Timberwolves selected him sixth overall.
Point guards Chris Paul, the reigning Rookie of the Year, Utah's Deron Williams and Raymond Felton of Charlotte were picked for the sophomores. New York's David Lee, Indiana's Danny Granger and Monta Ellis of Golden State, all having strong second seasons, will also play.
The game will be played Feb. 16 at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center. The sophomores beat the rookies 106-96 last year behind 30 points from Andre Iguodala for their fourth straight victory.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Rockets' Howard sits following PRP therapy
- Cuban backs Silver's take on sports betting
- Knicks' Calderon makes debut vs. Sixers
- Depleted Bulls lose Gibson to sprained ankle
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NBA ALL-STAR GAME
• Hollinger scorecard
• NBA All-Star Game Index
ON THE COURT
• Kobe leads West All-Star romp
• Kobe takes second MVP trophy
• Abbott: That's entertainment?
• Green, Kapono, Wade win
• Abbott: Howard wows crowd
• Sheridan: Barkley beats Bavetta
• Williams: D-League stars
• Sophs teach rooks record lesson
• Hollinger: Live from the mix zone
• Sheridan: Weekend wrap up
• Simmons: Off to Vegas
• Hollinger: Media Day highlights
• Sheridan: No new rules
• Sheridan: Bet on Bavetta
• Sheridan: Stern's gamble?
• Stein: Leather sticks around
• Stein: Raise Rim? No dunk you
• All-Star Saturday Night • Sophomores run over rookies
• Wheelchair All-Star Game
• Reggie Bush: Ankle is ok • Celebs show their skills
• Join ESPN Magazine in Vegas
• Hall of Fame names finalists
• Dwight Howard
• LeBron James
• Steve Nash
• Dwyane Wade
• Chris Bosh
• T-Mac and Yao
• Dirk Nowitzki
• Tony Parker
• Kevin Garnett
• Carmelo Anthony
• Richard Hamilton
• Gilbert Arenas
• Jason Kidd