Allen, Okur get call to replace injured All-Star players
With Steve Nash (shoulder) and Allen Iverson (ankle) both pulling out of Sunday's game in Las Vegas, the Western Conference was in need of a guard. Allen is seventh in the league with 26.9 points per game.
Okur's clutch late-game play has helped Utah keep rolling despite the absence of Carlos Boozer, who was chosen for the All-Star Game but also was forced to pull out because of a hairline fracture in his leg. That had left the Jazz, whose 34-17 record is third-best in the league, without a player in Sunday's game.
Allen is headed to his fourth straight All-Star Game and seventh overall. Okur is a first-time selection.
"It's always a great honor to represent my team and our city at the All-Star Game," Allen said. "As an athlete, I cherish these opportunities to be recognized along with the league's best and to continue the Sonics' proud All-Star tradition."
Besides Nash, Iverson and Boozer, Yao Ming of Houston also had to pull out. New Jersey guard Jason Kidd is going to miss the next two games with a strained lower back, but the Nets didn't say if he would play Sunday.
Also, the NBA announced that Hornets point guard Chris Paul will replace Nash in the Skills competition on Saturday night.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Rondo makes Mavs debut; Spurs sit top 4
- Kings, Nets explore D-Will trade, sources say
- Silver on tanking: 'No team is trying to lose'
- Pierce: Wizards need to 'build better habits'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NBA ALL-STAR GAME
• Hollinger scorecard
• NBA All-Star Game Index
ON THE COURT
• Kobe leads West All-Star romp
• Kobe takes second MVP trophy
• Abbott: That's entertainment?
• Green, Kapono, Wade win
• Abbott: Howard wows crowd
• Sheridan: Barkley beats Bavetta
• Williams: D-League stars
• Sophs teach rooks record lesson
• Hollinger: Live from the mix zone
• Sheridan: Weekend wrap up
• Simmons: Off to Vegas
• Hollinger: Media Day highlights
• Sheridan: No new rules
• Sheridan: Bet on Bavetta
• Sheridan: Stern's gamble?
• Stein: Leather sticks around
• Stein: Raise Rim? No dunk you
• All-Star Saturday Night • Sophomores run over rookies
• Wheelchair All-Star Game
• Reggie Bush: Ankle is ok • Celebs show their skills
• Join ESPN Magazine in Vegas
• Hall of Fame names finalists
• Dwight Howard
• LeBron James
• Steve Nash
• Dwyane Wade
• Chris Bosh
• T-Mac and Yao
• Dirk Nowitzki
• Tony Parker
• Kevin Garnett
• Carmelo Anthony
• Richard Hamilton
• Gilbert Arenas
• Jason Kidd