Hollinger's PER Diem: Oct. 29, 2008
John Hollinger gives us his PER Diem for Wednesday night's games.
Greg Oden is the headline, obviously, and for selfish reasons, I hope he's back soon. (Reporting on Joel Przybilla versus Yao Ming on Nov. 6 won't have quite the same ring to it.)
But while we wait for the MRI results, let's look at the other half of the equation from Tuesday night: The Lakers looked good in their 96-76 win. In particular, their defensive intensity seemed a few notches higher, helping to keep the Blazers out of the paint and limiting them to 34.5 percent shooting.
John Hollinger takes a look at Wednesday's matchups and gives us five observations to look out for. Insider
• Is Andrew Bynum worth the big bucks?
• A long year ahead for Milwaukee
• Nuggets and Linas Kleiza close to a deal
• Al Harrington's trade demands
• Will Leon Powe struggle with assists?
It's only one game, but the Lakers' important development is worth watching. If L.A. defends this well all year, it will be nigh unbeatable because you know this group will score its share of points. Although I didn't pick the Lakers to win the Western Conference, I do believe this team has the highest ceiling of any club in basketball. In the opener, at least, the Lakers seemed much closer to reaching that ceiling than I'd presumed.
John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Bosh: Spurs' Green 'won't be open tonight'
- Sources: Clips walk away from Celts deal
- Westbrook off his crutches, says 'I'm back'
- Rice vies to go from D-League to 1st round
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Hollinger's PER Diem
Want a deeper look into all of the latest NBA action? Check out John Hollinger's new daily column -- full of analysis, observations and more -- every Monday through Friday.
Jan. 13, 2009• PER Diem: Lakers-Rockets injury battle
• Insider: OKC's problems
Jan. 12, 2009• PER Diem: Magic join top ranks
• Insider: Portland travel problems
Jan. 9, 2009• PER Diem: Billups stealing the spotlight
• Insider: A can't miss game
Jan. 8, 2009• PER Diem: Sixers young spark
• Insider: Wolves continue to sizzle
Jan. 7, 2009• PER Diem: Boston's bench problem
• Insider: Miles won't wait too long
Jan. 6, 2009• PER Diem: Nuggets under luxury-tax line
• Insider: Tense few days for some teams
Jan. 5, 2009• PER Diem: Bucks, Pistons Ranking debate
• Insider: T-Mac's blatant mail-in job
Dec. 31, 2008• PER Diem: Spurs' playoff forecast
• Insider: Calderon's free-throw feat?
Dec. 30, 2008• PER Diem: The Year of the Great Divide
• Insider: Rip with a new role?
Dec. 29, 2008• PER Diem: Battle for top spot
• Insider: Portland's top offense
Dec. 24, 2008• PER Diem: The Good Bynum
• Insider: Passing of torch
Dec. 23, 2008• PER Diem: Magic near top crust
• Insider: O.J. making run at Rose
Dec. 22, 2008• PER Diem: Tough Sunday for Pistons
• Insider: Crisis mode for Raptors
Dec. 19, 2008• PER Diem: Orlando's lack of credit on D
• Insider: A big story up north
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 15 | 16 | 17 18
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 24 | 25 | 26
28 | 29 | 30 | 31