Former Celtics guard Johnson dies suddenly at 52
AUSTIN, Texas -- Dennis Johnson, the star NBA guard who was part of three championships and teamed with Larry Bird on one of the great postseason plays, died Thursday after collapsing at the end of his developmental team's practice. He was 52.
Johnson, coach of the Austin Toros, was unconscious and in cardiac arrest when paramedics arrived at Austin Convention Center, said Warren Hassinger, spokesman for Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services.
Paramedics tried ...
Read full story
DENNIS JOHNSON: 1954-2007
Name: Dennis Wayne Johnson
Born: Sept. 18, 1954, in Compton, Calif.
College: Pepperdine University
Drafted: Seattle SuperSonics, 1976 (29th overall)
NBA teams: Seattle (1976-80), Phoenix (1980-83), Boston (1983-90)
Career highlights: Won NBA titles with Seattle (1979) and Boston (1984, '86) ... Voted NBA Finals MVP in 1979 ... All-NBA First Team (1981) ... All-NBA Second Team (1980) ... All-Defensive First Team (1979-83, '87) ... All-Defensive Second Team (1984-86) ... Five-time NBA All-Star (1979-82, '85)
• Celtics pay tribute to Johnson
• Johnson remembered at service
• Memorial, funeral set for DJ
• Shouler: Remembering DJ
• Simmons: RIP, DJ
• Mayne: What DJ meant to me
• Reaction to Johnson's death
• DJ made all the plays ... big and little
• Dennis Johnson dies at 52
• Your thoughts on Dennis Johnson
• Shouler: Why isn't DJ in the Hall?
• Dennis Johnson video tribute