Trade for Randolph, selection of Chandler cheers up Knicks' fans
NEW YORK -- Knicks fans had a reason to cheer even before commissioner David Stern announced New York's first-round pick in the NBA draft Thursday night.
Randolph averaged a career-high 23.6 points and 10.1 rebounds last season and gives New York a strong frontcourt tandem with center Eddy Curry.
The fans were delighted when New York took DePaul forward Wilson Chandler with the 23rd pick, hoping that he would be the next solid late first-round pick by Isiah Thomas. It was a very different scene from last year when fans were saying, "Fire Isiah!" before the draft even started.
They booed even louder when the Knicks drafted Renaldo Balkman, an unknown. But Balkman became a fan favorite with his spirited play, making him the last of Thomas' late first-round finds.
In 2005, New York took David Lee with the 30th pick.
Chandler played two seasons at DePaul before declaring for the draft. He averaged 14.6 points and 7.0 rebounds to earn second team All-Big East Conference honors.
"I'm very excited," Chandler said. "It's a great opportunity. It's a traditional court, a good basketball squad and a great coach and a great city."
The Knicks would have had the ninth pick in the draft, but Chicago had the right to swap to complete the Curry trade from 2005. The Bulls took New York native Joakim Noah with the ninth pick.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
Check out our full coverage of the 2007 NBA Draft.
• Ford: Pick-by-pick analysis
• Ford: Team-by-team draft grades
• Sheridan: Night belongs to Oden, Durant
• Blazers make Oden the No. 1 pick
• TrueHoop's draft coverage
• Katz: Upperclassmen the hip pick this year
• Dickie V's draft thoughts
• Updated list: Draft day trades
• Fantasy: Draft night advice
• SportsNation: Draft night poll
• Zoom Gallery: Draft night fashion
• Mock Draft, Version 6.2 -- Picks: 1-14 | 15-30
• Ford: Is Yi worth the risk? ... The tier system
MORE DRAFT COVERAGE
• Hollinger: Rating pro potential of college players
• Official list: Who's in/out
• Ford's Top 100 prospects
• Sports Guy's lottery picks
• Ford: 10 int'l players to watch
• Ford: Oden No. 1? Or Durant?
• 2007 NBA Draft Index
• Ford: Prospects to watch in '08
• Ford: Five who could be drafted in '07
• Durant workout impresses Blazers
• Odom so-so in Portland session
• Oden's wrist, and other red flags
• Draft notes and rumors
• Is Durant's stock slipping?
• Combine results: Who's the best athlete?
• Ford: Draft rumors
• Ford: Day 1 | Day 2 | Wrap-up
• Podcast: Kevin Pritchard, Dominique Wilkins
• Poll: Who should Blazers pick?
• TrueHoop: Secaucus heaven Blazer bliss
• Katz: Oden wowed Unhappy C's scene
• Broussard: Nice Trail mix
• Ford's blog: Lottery aftermath
• Conversation: Blazers | Sonics | C's | NBA
• Greg Oden -- is he Mr. Upside?
• Mike Conley, Daequan Cook, Carl Landry
• Julian Wright, Thaddeus Young, Alando Tucker
• China's Yi Jianlian | No. 3 pick? | Rock star
• Florida's Corey Brewer and Joakim Noah
• Nick Young, Jason Smith, Bobby Brown