NBA union investigating BDA's dealings with Mayo
O.J. Mayo is already drawing NBA interest that has nothing to do with his draft lottery status.
The National Basketball Players Association is investigating Bill Duffy Associates Sports Management to see whether the organization gave money to the former USC guard to secure him as a client, Robert Gadson, the union's director of security and agent administration, told ESPN.
The Sports Business Journal first reported the investigation.
ESPN's "Outside the Lines" ran a story last week in which a former confidant of Mayo, Louis Johnson, claimed that the agency gave more than $250,000 in cash and gifts to Rodney Guillory in order to secure the player.
"I have yet to receive anything and when I do, I will respond accordingly," Duffy said, according to SBJ.
The NBPA prohibits agents from giving money or items of value to athletes to influence the choice of representation.
"We do not comment on pending investigations," NBPA director of communications Dan Wasserman said, according to SBJ.
Mayo, who played only one season for the Trojans, is projected to be a lottery pick in the upcoming NBA draft.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Wolves expect to land 76ers' Young
- Rose practices for Team USA, will play Fri.
- Team USA reserves get shot in rout of D.R.
- CEO of Maple Leafs, Raptors to step down
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
News• USC self-imposes postseason ban, forfeits wins
• Source: Mayo talks to U.S. Attorney
• Report: Floyd gave money to Mayo handler
• Johnson question by NCAA, USC, Pac-10
• Mayo hires agent who represents LeBron
• Attorney: Feds investigating funds in Mayo case
• Official probing credit card use
• Mayo arrives at pre-draft camp, pleads innocence
• Mayo cuts ties with agent
• Report: USC to say it didn't know of impropriety
• Wolves not turned off by allegations against Mayo
• Report: NBPA investigating agent dealings
• Report: Ex-Mayo associate to cooperate
• Report: Mayo's HS can keep titles
• NCAA to investigate Mayo with "new information"
• O.J. Mayo denies receiving money, gifts
Video• Watch: Mayo pre-draft workout in Chicago
• Watch: USC campus reacts to Mayo allegations
• Watch: O.J. Mayo, others react to the OTL report
• Watch: "Outside the Lines" investigation
Analysis• Katz: What's next in the Mayo investigations?
• Chad Ford: How "bad" is Mayo?
• Stephen A. Smith: What's the big deal?
• Katz: Mayo projected into the lottery
• Bilas: What can be done to help?
• Keown: Mayo demonstrates NBA rule a disaster
• Katz: Academic issue with one-and-dones
• TrueHoop: NBA buzzing about Mayo
• Ford: Mayo's draft stock shouldn't change
• Gottlieb: Cheating rewards outweigh the risks
• Vitale: Mayo mess proves one-and-done is a joke
• Forde: USC should've known better about Mayo
• Naqi: Guillory tied to Mayo, agent Bill Duffy
Audio• Myles Brand says he favors a two-year rule
• Dave Telep: Mayo isn't the only one
• Forde: USC has no excuse for not knowing
SportsNation• Chat wrap with OTL reporter Kelly Naqi
• Chat wrap with Pat Forde