Mayo hires Rose as NBA draft draws closer
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- O.J. Mayo has new representation -- LeBron James' agent, Leon Rose.
Mike Woelfel, a Huntington lawyer for Mayo's family, confirmed the signing, which was first reported Friday by The Herald-Dispatch of Huntington. Woelfel didn't immediately return a telephone message to The Associated Press.
Mayo and agent Calvin Andrews of Bill Duffy Associates parted ways last month over the distraction of allegations first revealed in an ESPN "Outside The Lines" report in May.
Former Mayo associate Louis Johnson told ESPN that Mayo associate Rodney Guillory received money from the agency BDA Sports and funneled cash and gifts to Mayo.
Mayo, a former Huntington High and Ohio prep standout, has denied receiving any improper funds. The allegations are being investigated by the NCAA, Pacific-10 Conference and Southern Cal.
Mayo, who played one season at USC, is projected to be a lottery pick in the NBA draft on June 26.
The National Basketball Players Association is investigating BDA Sports to see whether the organization gave money to Mayo to secure him as a client, Robert Gadson, the union's director of security and agent administration, said.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Melo: Knicks bringing in Phil a 'power move'
- Down 25, Pacers rally to beat Pistons in OT
- Sixers' 20th straight loss ties franchise mark
- Wizards' 4th-quarter rally stuns Nets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
News• USC self-imposes postseason ban, forfeits wins
• Source: Mayo talks to U.S. Attorney
• Report: Floyd gave money to Mayo handler
• Johnson question by NCAA, USC, Pac-10
• Mayo hires agent who represents LeBron
• Attorney: Feds investigating funds in Mayo case
• Official probing credit card use
• Mayo arrives at pre-draft camp, pleads innocence
• Mayo cuts ties with agent
• Report: USC to say it didn't know of impropriety
• Wolves not turned off by allegations against Mayo
• Report: NBPA investigating agent dealings
• Report: Ex-Mayo associate to cooperate
• Report: Mayo's HS can keep titles
• NCAA to investigate Mayo with "new information"
• O.J. Mayo denies receiving money, gifts
Video• Watch: Mayo pre-draft workout in Chicago
• Watch: USC campus reacts to Mayo allegations
• Watch: O.J. Mayo, others react to the OTL report
• Watch: "Outside the Lines" investigation
Analysis• Katz: What's next in the Mayo investigations?
• Chad Ford: How "bad" is Mayo?
• Stephen A. Smith: What's the big deal?
• Katz: Mayo projected into the lottery
• Bilas: What can be done to help?
• Keown: Mayo demonstrates NBA rule a disaster
• Katz: Academic issue with one-and-dones
• TrueHoop: NBA buzzing about Mayo
• Ford: Mayo's draft stock shouldn't change
• Gottlieb: Cheating rewards outweigh the risks
• Vitale: Mayo mess proves one-and-done is a joke
• Forde: USC should've known better about Mayo
• Naqi: Guillory tied to Mayo, agent Bill Duffy
Audio• Myles Brand says he favors a two-year rule
• Dave Telep: Mayo isn't the only one
• Forde: USC has no excuse for not knowing
SportsNation• Chat wrap with OTL reporter Kelly Naqi
• Chat wrap with Pat Forde