Vols' Smith withdraws from draft
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee forward Tyler Smith says he will withdraw his name from consideration for the NBA draft and return for his senior season with the Volunteers.
Smith said at a news conference in Knoxville on Thursday that he reached the decision after talking with his family, coaches and teammates. He says he thinks the Vols have "a great chance to have something special" next year.
In his two seasons at Tennessee, Smith has never missed a game and has averaged 15.4 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists. The Tennessee native led the Vols in scoring, assists and free-throw percentage last year.
Coach Bruce Pearl says Smith had several impressive workouts but wasn't a first-round NBA lock.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Howard felt marginalized by D'Antoni
- Vogel responds to LeBron, respects Heat
- Melo to have injured shoulder re-examined
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado